Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Male sling for incontinence and MASTER study

User
Posted 03 Dec 2016 at 16:37

Hi all,

Question from a newbie ... nearly 2 years after radical prostatectomy at Southmead Bristol, I am using 1-2 pads a day. My urologist referred me back to Bristol to discuss surgical options. I have had urodynamics and am eligible for surgery.

My research leads me to want a sling fitted, but this now only seems possible via the MASTER study which would mean I wake up with a 50% chance of an Artificial Urinary Sphincter (AUS) and 50% chance of a sling - a proper randomisation!!  I am not keen on the AUS for a number of reasons -  it may require replacement, could interfere with cycling and other activities, seems more invasive, and seems more suitable to people with  higher level of incontinence. I am fairly young 50s and active, and feel my best outcome would be a successfully fitted sling. Fitting an AUS if it fails is also possible.

Has anyone had a sling fitted under the NHS, and if so whereabouts? Or does anyone have any recommendations for experienced surgeons to have it done privately? Google led me to the Birmingham Prostate Clinic and London Urology (Jerey Ockrim) - I made an attempt to contact both but never heard back.

Thanks for reading!

J

User
Posted 03 Dec 2016 at 20:04

Put 'sling' into the search box - that will take you to a number of threads and posts, including from tonypw and hilary meeghan both of whom have had slings.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Dec 2016 at 20:35
Thanks Lyn, I have had a good read of some other experiences including tonypw and hillary. I am hoping some of the recent recipients can inform me how they actually got one, and if private or nhs. As its fairly new it does not seem to be widely available, and seems even more restricted due to the MASTER trial unless you want to go for 50-50 in the trial!

Edited by member 03 Dec 2016 at 20:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Mar 2017 at 20:33
Well I went for it! I wasn't making any progress with private quotes and I got a date for MASTER op so I just dived in. Woke up with a sling at Bristol Southmead, but had been prepared either way by thinking about AUS advantages over a sling.

Unfortunately I had to be discharged with catherter as I could only dribble ... but subsequent research suggests this is likely to increase success. It's a trip down memory lane with the old bag ... but I've now got a technique involving cotton wool to minimise that rubbing on the sensitive bit! It's not out for a few more days as there were no appointments at local urology. Here's hoping :)

User
Posted 01 Mar 2017 at 23:22

Fingers crossed for you Jellyfish

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Mar 2017 at 13:53

Just after my operation I was incontinent of urine for about two weeks. When it was at its worst I manage to get some free sample sheaths and fitted the tube and then the urine bag to my lower leg. Wonderful thing gravity!

I first tried the 'sticky' sheath, terrible, what a pain to take off. I then improvised and talcum powered the stickyness away, wore it, made a tube sized hole in my underwear which kept the sheath easily in place.

I then began to get control of my bladder again but I was now a bit 'leaky'. I bought some basic 2' x2' urine pads from Boots, cut them up into roughly 4" x 2" units, I had loads of them from one pad!

I folded each unit along its length and just sellotaped one end. When I went out I just stuffed a load of these in my pocket and to ensure I didn't embarrass myself I just fitted one as a penis cradle, my underwear secure them in the right place, every time I visited the toilet. They worked a treat!

Luckily in my case, I achieved full control again. I always carry a couple of cradles however, just in case!

User
Posted 04 Mar 2017 at 23:59
Hi jellyfish.

I'm interested in these results. My oh had his surgery in Dec 14, and still uses 1-2 small pads a day. The incontinence team think that because of his job, he is unlikely to regain full continence - he's a farmer. He'd just got to the level he could cope with when his count started rising.

He's currently undergoing salvage RT, and if he goes backwards on the continence front, I think he would want to go for this.

I will probably come back and ask you in the future if you think it is worth it!

Louise

User
Posted 05 Mar 2017 at 00:00
Hi jellyfish.

I'm interested in these results. My oh had his surgery in Dec 14, and still uses 1-2 small pads a day. The incontinence team think that because of his job, he is unlikely to regain full continence - he's a farmer. He'd just got to the level he could cope with when his count started rising.

He's currently undergoing salvage RT, and if he goes backwards on the continence front, I think he would want to go for this.

I will probably come back and ask you in the future if you think it is worth it!

Louise