Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontinence from Cystoscopy & cystodiathermy

User
Posted 04 Dec 2016 at 15:34

Hello from Johnoggaunt

I shall be grateful if anyone can comment/help with my experience, which is very recent.

In brief, I had prostate removed about 2007 and had follow up radiotherapy about 2 years ago because of increased PSA. Continence pretty good ( almost 100%) as a result of doing the advised exercises--Kegels I think?

Recently passed blood in the urine as a result of radiation Cystitus. About 7 days ago I had a procure called Rigid cystoscopy with cystodaithermy, in simple terms "camera into bladder plus instruments to seal areas that bleed. Suddenly this procedure has caused me to become incontinent. Leakage occurs when I move, I have almost continuous sensation close to the exit of the urethra. Have experienced what I can only describe as spasms in the penis. I do not appear to have a urine infection.

Has anyone had a similar experience, & am I being impatient timewise?

Will be grateful for any feedback

User
Posted 04 Dec 2016 at 23:29

How do you know you don't have an infection? If only because the GP has done a urine test then it might be wise to go back and ask for a more detailed test as some UTIs are notoriously difficult to diagnose. And what kind of sensation?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Dec 2016 at 10:34
J

I have an ongoing urethral problem and tend to know when I have a water infection,even if a dip test at the GPs is negative they still send the sample off to the lab to be cultivated, most times it will come back positive along with a report saying which antibiotics to treat it with. I have just finished my latest course of antibiotics today.As already said perhaps worth going back to GP.

I have not had the same procedure as you but have had many things inserted into the penis and bladder, some have made the incontinence better some have made it worse. It may be the trauma of the procedure and needs a bit of time to recover.

My slow flow and intermittent retention does cause a great deal of discomfort at the end of the penis.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 14:43

Thanks for your quick responses. I have done what you advised today. A urine sample is with my local surgery, and it will be sent for a detailed analysis to the appropriate hospital. Meanwhile my doctor has prescribed an immediate one week antibiotics course as a pre-emptive measure.

Kind Regards

Johnofgaunt

User
Posted 17 Dec 2016 at 10:57

Thanks for your reply. I had my urine sample tested at a hospital laboratory and I result was negative, so I do not have an infection. My doctor advise that I am passing some white blood cells in the urine, these have been caused by radiotherapy treatment; I think this is causing some discomfort when urinating. 24  hours after my rigid cystoscopy I started to suffer from incontinence ( was OK before the procedure) and am doing the usual NHS prescribed exercises 3 times per day, and hope that this will improve the situation. Am still getting a form of spasm which feels to be well inside the urethra.

John o g

User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 21:00

Hello John,,just saw your post when looking for help for my husband who finished radiotherapy in April 2016 with very few side effects. For the last few weeks he has suffered pain in the perineum for several hours with some slight stinging and loose motions. This happens 3 or 4 times a week. The urologist wants to do a cystoscopy,we are reluctant as my husband needed a catheter after a biopsy as he went into retention,also over the last few years has had a few instances where he has been incontinent at night,this is only 2 to 3 times a year. Our concern is that a cystoscopy could aggravate the problems rather than solving anything,his urinary symptoms are the least problem really. Did you get pain with your problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated. How are you doing now?

User
Posted 25 Jan 2017 at 10:59

Hello sofijoan

I had a Rigid Cystoscopy & diathermy (no biopsy) at the end of November 2016 which was done under general anasthetic. 24 hours later incontinence started, whereas I had virtually no problem before. With this procedure the instruments inserted through the urethra are somewhat bigger than those used for a simple examination of the bladder, this may have been the procedure that your husband had done to enable a biopsy I had no pain following the procedure but it has made the penis & perineum sensitive. I have no problem with incontinence at night, probably because I sleep very deeply and the body functions slow down but leak when walking any distance. I recently had a private consultation and was told that I either had stress incontinence, or incontinence caused by the bladder going into spasm--I'm awaiting a prescription for medication aimed at reducing spasms--to see if this is the cause. Radiotherapy can cause bowel problems, but the usual problem is proctitus, which is loss of blood in the lower bowel which can cause more frequent bowel movements, I've experienced this but it has not caused any change in the motions. My medical history is; removal of prostate 2008, radiotherapy follow up in spring 2015. and latterly the Rigid Cystoscopy. I would advise that you question very carefully why a cystoscopy needs to be done to address a problem in the perineum, and what are the possible side effects of a second cystoscopy