Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Issues in my 30s

User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 10:36

Hi all,

My name's Al and I'm a Scotsman in my late 30s.

I recently went to my GP as I'd just started seeing someone two and a half years after my ex-wife and I separated and I was experiencing ED. At the same time I also noticed that I was having the occasional bother peeing, usually waiting 30 min to a few hours after starting to feel the need before going. I noticed these symptoms two months ago, but I suspect they might have been going on slightly longer.

My GP ran tests for a UTI and some STDs and they all came back clear. He then moved onto my prostrate. A DRE revealed what he referred to as a 'slight lump' just over a fortnight ago and he referred me to the hospital. I was there last Thursday where they did an ultra sound and drew bloods for a PSA. The Nurse then said she was going to speak to the consultant to try and get me seen quicker, which worried me slightly. She inferred that the longer I had to wait the better, so I panicked when she phoned on Friday asking me to come in yesterday.

A further DRE reveal that it wasn't so much a lump as the right hand side of my prostrate was enlarged. That combined with a PSA of 10 had the consultant arranging an MRI and a biopsy within the next couple of weeks.

Needless to say I am now pretty worried and am trying not to assume the worst.

Success level is varying.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 11:00

Hello Alasdair and welcome to the "club"

Whatever the result of your  tests are, you are being seen and very promptly too.

It's never any good telling somebody not to worry because you naturally will. I would have said when I started reading your post that the slight ED was caused by a confidence issue being in a new relationship but that, together with your other symptoms and a PSA of 10 certainly indicated that it needs investigating.

I am sure that the men will be along to reassure you. Prostate cancer can be treated successfully (if that is what you have) and there are many routes to take towards a cure.

We often point new men towards downloading The Toolkit, which is a set of leaflets explaining symptoms, treatments etc.
To obtain a copy, call one of the nurses on the number at the top of the page and order it.
The nurses are also very good at answering questions, should you find yourself on here and nobody around to answer you.

Use the Toolkit to make a list of questions to ask at your next appointment and take somebody with you if you can. There will be a lot to take in and two pairs of ears have a better chance of catching all the info.

We are here to help when you need us but in the meantime, please try not to panic.

Also best not to Google too much as the information available online isn't always relevant since some of it comes from other countries where they treat differently.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 06 Dec 2016 at 12:04  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 12:53

Prostates do tend to grow with passing years but it is of more concern if the shape becomes more irregular. It could be just BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) but investigations should find out if PCa present.

Do let us know how you get on.

Barry
User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 13:15
Quote:

Thanks for the welcome, Sandra, I'll have a look through the toolbox later on tonight.

Quote:

What Sandra said, with one dissension ... feel free to Google, but be careful. It's usually pretty easy to separate the bad sites from the good, and there's a wealth of information to be had.

I've had a look at Google with that very much in mind. The problem I'm having is finding information regarding these kind of results occurring in your 30s. The Doctor seemed to think my age ruled out anything sinister right until he did a DRE.

Quote:

Prostates do tend to grow with passing years but it is of more concern if the shape becomes more irregular. It could be just BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) but investigations should find out if PCa present.

Do let us know how you get on.

They seemed to have ruled that out as far as I can tell. I'm thinking that one side being larger than the other would count as irregular. This has all come as a bit of a shock as I was convinced it was BPH myself, right up until the DRE.

Edited by member 06 Dec 2016 at 13:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 17:18

Al

You're getting checked out and that is the best road to take at the moment.  I'm 46, so a bit older than you, but still too young to have what is commonly misunderstood to be an old man's illness.

You will naturally worry until the MRI and biopsy is done.  I am afraid you are in a waiting game.  Hopefully they will happen soon.  Do you have dates yet?

Sadly, I'm having a prostatectomy on Friday.  It seems to be my best option.

Walter

User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 09:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Al

You're getting checked out and that is the best road to take at the moment.  I'm 46, so a bit older than you, but still too young to have what is commonly misunderstood to be an old man's illness.

You will naturally worry until the MRI and biopsy is done.  I am afraid you are in a waiting game.  Hopefully they will happen soon.  Do you have dates yet?

Sadly, I'm having a prostatectomy on Friday.  It seems to be my best option.

Walter

No dates yet, Walter, I'm waiting for the letters. I don't see me waiting long though, they've been hell of a quick so far in getting all this looked at.

Nice to meet someone a bit closer to my age. All the way through this I've been getting told not to worry as I'm in my 30s and all the websites seem geared towards older gents almost exclusively.

Sorry to hear about your prostatectomy. Hope the procedure goes smoothly.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 13:55
Which part of Scotland are you in? I did my degree at Strathclyde University

Walter

User
Posted 08 Dec 2016 at 08:56

Used to work for them as it happens.

Based on the west coast.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2016 at 09:51

What doesn't help is the way the prospect of a diagnosis can make you question everything currently happening to you. I've had a slight tremor on and off for the last couple of months, but I dismissed it as my imagination especially in light of the last few weeks.

However last night marked the second time my girlfriend noticed it, meaning it's not my imagination. I've not been cold during any of the tremors and my BG (I'm diabetic) was well within normal limits last night.

It's minor. It's almost certainly unrelated. But you find yourself wondering...

User
Posted 13 Dec 2016 at 11:52

Well I got a phone call last week asking me to come in for a MRI scan next Monday. Things moving pretty quickly.

But then I got a phone yesterday asking if I could have come in on Thursday lunchtime to get the scan done. They're really not wasting any time here, really can't fault the NHS on this one.

Couldn't make it though as my daughter has Nativity then and I don't like the idea of letting her down. That and I'm conscious of not missing anything with my kids this year. They've said they might phone back with a morning or evening appointment before Monday hits.