Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Too many things to deal with

User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 18:23
Hi

Just needed to get all this off my chest so here goes, hubby just finished 6 chemo sessions on 18th November. He's coped really well apart from fatigue and a few other minor issues. He hasn't missed a days work throughout. Last Tuesday he started to become quite breathless and was passing dark coloured stools, so to cut a long story short he was asked to come into hospital to be checked out. His red blood count was low, down to 70 from120 so had to have blood transfusion then they suspected a bleed somewhere so had an endoscopy which showed what they thought was a stomach ulcer, they did a biopsy on it to make sure it wasn't stomach cancer! Had to spend four days in hospital Have to wait 7-10 days to find out..... forgot to say week before all this he found out there was a small hopefully non aggressive tumour in his left breast. He needs a mastectomy at the end of December to get rid of it, all this and incurable prostate cancer to boot!! He had bowel cancer five years ago and got through that but all this is making him so depressed he really can't see any light at the end of the tunnel at the moment and he's always been so positive but I don't think he can actually cope with all this . I feel helpless and just want to take all this away for him just don't know where to turn for help. Thank you for listening I know everyone has to try and deal with whatever is thrown at you but how much is enough. Debbie x

User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 21:16

Hello Debbie. Your man is really going through it isn't he.

I can understand your need to talk to somebody, I just wish I could be of help. Hopefully, by replying at all, I have bumped your post and it will get seen by some of the the other members.

You are both going through so much as the moment, not only the physical aspect but also fear of the future.

I hope the hospital has made him more comfortable. You must also look after yourself so that you can look after him!

I hope whoever currently has the blanket will warm it up and send it to you. When it comes, wrap it round you and know that if we could we'd do it for you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 22:02

Hi Debbie,

What rotten luck your hubby has had and of course this also makes it hard on you. You say he still working full time and for some men this helps take the mind off PCa and is something some would wish to do anyway. Also, there may be a financial need for this but if not perhaps is might be possible for him to work part time and have more quality time with you as his health and treatment permits. Maybe Macmillan could help?

Barry
User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 16:24

Hi Debbie,

I'm sure all the ladies on this site totally relate to your feelings. It is hard work, emotionally, physically and everything else watching a loved one going through this, the uncertainty and the sense of one's life revolving around illness, emergencies and an uncertain future. There is no straightforward answer. Just 'be there' for your husband, cliched as that sounds, it is often all we can offer, as you say, it is distressing to feel so helpless but that is the reality.

As human beings, we like to feel we are in charge of our lives, and a serious illness absolutely knocks that on the head. To be able to be there for your husband, it's crucial to look after yourself, in whatever form that takes, for me, it was long dog walks, having some distance from my partners situation, having a good cry, talking to others for support. Macmillan have an excellent helpline and the PCUK nurses are also very good, use them if you need to, it becomes impossible to hold everything together. Try to take one hour at a time and find some small distractions for when difficult feelings overwhelm, but dont feel you have to surpress them, they are normal and natural in this context. Use the forum here, there are lots of wonderful, supportive people who completely understand how it is for you so you are never alone, whatever you and your husband are going through.

Fiona.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 17:48
Thank you so much for all your supportive replies it really has helped me, just to know that you all are there and totally understand this horrible situation. It was such a bad day yesterday, hubby been back to hospital today and had blood tests and they are referring him for a ct scan, hopefully before Christmas he is still feeling out of breath if he exerts himself at all and looks very pale. They said they will contact him on Friday with the results so will have to wait till then.

My very best wishes to you all and I will let you know how things go.

Debbie x

User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 20:09
Oh dear Debbie tough times,

There isn't anything I can say to stop you worrying all right on top of Xmas as well , we are in a pretty low dip ourselves but I am more than happy to share the comfort blanket, it is winging its way to you.

Keep your chin up.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 22:12
Debbie I'm so sorry you are having to face all of this. I hope you get some answers soon. Take care x
User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 23:15
Hi Debbie

Sorry to read your not so good post. Life can be so cruel and some of us get dealt with a really bad hand of things. Your husband seems to have been dealt more than his fare share.

It sounds like your hubby has been such a trouper through everything up till now. Maybe it might a option that he considers taking an antidepressant. Although it will not cure anything it could help him over a difficult time.

Sending you a big hug, take care of yourself also.

Lesley xx

User
Posted 08 Dec 2016 at 07:28
Thinking of you all ,

Take care

Debby

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 21:16

Hello Debbie. Your man is really going through it isn't he.

I can understand your need to talk to somebody, I just wish I could be of help. Hopefully, by replying at all, I have bumped your post and it will get seen by some of the the other members.

You are both going through so much as the moment, not only the physical aspect but also fear of the future.

I hope the hospital has made him more comfortable. You must also look after yourself so that you can look after him!

I hope whoever currently has the blanket will warm it up and send it to you. When it comes, wrap it round you and know that if we could we'd do it for you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Dec 2016 at 22:02

Hi Debbie,

What rotten luck your hubby has had and of course this also makes it hard on you. You say he still working full time and for some men this helps take the mind off PCa and is something some would wish to do anyway. Also, there may be a financial need for this but if not perhaps is might be possible for him to work part time and have more quality time with you as his health and treatment permits. Maybe Macmillan could help?

Barry
User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 16:24

Hi Debbie,

I'm sure all the ladies on this site totally relate to your feelings. It is hard work, emotionally, physically and everything else watching a loved one going through this, the uncertainty and the sense of one's life revolving around illness, emergencies and an uncertain future. There is no straightforward answer. Just 'be there' for your husband, cliched as that sounds, it is often all we can offer, as you say, it is distressing to feel so helpless but that is the reality.

As human beings, we like to feel we are in charge of our lives, and a serious illness absolutely knocks that on the head. To be able to be there for your husband, it's crucial to look after yourself, in whatever form that takes, for me, it was long dog walks, having some distance from my partners situation, having a good cry, talking to others for support. Macmillan have an excellent helpline and the PCUK nurses are also very good, use them if you need to, it becomes impossible to hold everything together. Try to take one hour at a time and find some small distractions for when difficult feelings overwhelm, but dont feel you have to surpress them, they are normal and natural in this context. Use the forum here, there are lots of wonderful, supportive people who completely understand how it is for you so you are never alone, whatever you and your husband are going through.

Fiona.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 17:48
Thank you so much for all your supportive replies it really has helped me, just to know that you all are there and totally understand this horrible situation. It was such a bad day yesterday, hubby been back to hospital today and had blood tests and they are referring him for a ct scan, hopefully before Christmas he is still feeling out of breath if he exerts himself at all and looks very pale. They said they will contact him on Friday with the results so will have to wait till then.

My very best wishes to you all and I will let you know how things go.

Debbie x

User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 20:09
Oh dear Debbie tough times,

There isn't anything I can say to stop you worrying all right on top of Xmas as well , we are in a pretty low dip ourselves but I am more than happy to share the comfort blanket, it is winging its way to you.

Keep your chin up.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 22:12
Debbie I'm so sorry you are having to face all of this. I hope you get some answers soon. Take care x
User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 23:15
Hi Debbie

Sorry to read your not so good post. Life can be so cruel and some of us get dealt with a really bad hand of things. Your husband seems to have been dealt more than his fare share.

It sounds like your hubby has been such a trouper through everything up till now. Maybe it might a option that he considers taking an antidepressant. Although it will not cure anything it could help him over a difficult time.

Sending you a big hug, take care of yourself also.

Lesley xx

User
Posted 08 Dec 2016 at 07:28
Thinking of you all ,

Take care

Debby