I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just of the phone with my doctor

User
Posted 16 Dec 2016 at 13:04

Hi, i am just of the phone with my doctor who has advised that my PSA is showing at 5.7 (I am 60 years old). He is going to refer me to the hospital for further investigations.

I already suffer from ED and go to the toilet, on average, every 2/3 hours during the night.

I am home alone at the minute and needed to run this information by someone.

It would be fair to say that I am a bit frightened.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2016 at 14:35

Hi and welcome Paul

That probably wasn't on your Chrismas list. You will worry but do bear in mind the fear of the future is usually by far greater than what will actually occur.

Ray

User
Posted 16 Dec 2016 at 15:07

Hello PPJ and welcome.

There are a number of reasons for a raised PSA as well as ED and nocturia. One could be an infection or even Benign Prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

If your doctor has taken the trouble to speak to you (did he ring you or you him?) then he is being very proactive by referring you on.

PSA of 5.7 is a little high but it's by no means anything like as high as some members readings go. They can be up in the thousands.

It's easy for us to say don't worry because your mind has already leapt to the thought that you have prostate cancer.

With Christmas approaching fast you may have a few weeks to wait for a hospital appointment so try not to jump the gun at this stage and worry before you know you have anything to worry about. If you do get an appointment this side of Christmas (or indeed whenever it is) try and take somebody with you because all the information given to you will go right out of your head. Take a notebook and pen to write down answers.

Even if you do have PC, there are many many treatments available to you.

By the way, has your GP given you a digital rectal exam to test for the state of the prostate and had he checked for infection?

I'm sure other members will be along to add their thoughts, but please try not to think the worst yet.

If you are going to be browsing the web looking for answers, be careful where you look because not all information is relevant to you or indeed this country.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 16 Dec 2016 at 17:35  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Dec 2016 at 15:52

Thank you very much for your quick replies.

I had a digital exam and the doctor thought my prostate was a little enlarged. He said that it was best to let things settle for a few weeks and then do a blood test. This phone call was as a follow up to the blood test results.

My nature is that I can handle "news" better having heard it but I am poor at waiting for it! My doctor reckons that I will get an appointment in 3/4 weeks. 

The local hospital where I will be sent is a centre of excellence so I am confident of being well looked after.

I will take on board all the advise you have given regarding appointments, notes, not looking at the internet, etc.

Thanks again for the replies and the concern shown. 

PPJ

User
Posted 16 Dec 2016 at 16:17
I was confident Sandra would fill you in with all the relevant info -:) It reads your GP is on the ball regards PCa so that combined with centre of excellence is a good path to be on. A predictive wait of 3/4 weeks is good sign, as it shows no great urgency. However its also approaching holiday time so some folks will ask for an appointment afterwards. Thus if you get an earlier appointment see it as just the hospital filling in a slot. IF it is PCa your comments thus far suggests the curable camp.

Relax if you can

Ray
User
Posted 16 Dec 2016 at 18:23

Hi PPJ
As the others have said, it could be a variety of things so it is important not to jump to conclusions. PSA is an indicator to kick start further investigation, and it's great your GP has reacted so quickly. Whatever the end result, you will now go through the process - meeting with urologist, plus possible scans and biopsy. We have all been through it, and from my recent experience it was very quick.
Take the time to read the information on this site and become familiar with the type of questions you may want to ask at your appointment. Just remember that the appointment is the first step and you won't have a definitive diagnosis until later. If you have any concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to this community - as you are already discovering, it's an extended family!
Good luck and hang in there.
Chris

User
Posted 16 Dec 2016 at 20:57

Thanks again for the understanding and support.

ray that is a good point re the timing of any appointment.

PPJ