I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice please before diagnosis

User
Posted 23 Dec 2016 at 17:00

My husband had a blood test after I noticed him going to the loo at night: it showed raised PSA levels (7) and the GP was quite blunt about the likelihood of prostate cancer. He burst into tears (very unusual) in the surgery and came home in tears. We were quickly referred to the Chestnut unit at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth where a consultant again said the likelihood was cancer. He did a physical exam and said it felt abnormal and Martin was told to come back in an hour for a biopsy. But they could not get the probe up - he said it was the most excruciating pain ever. That was last week. He was told he would have an MRI - that was on Tuesday. So far, so speedy.  But now we are left in this limbo - seems worse over Christmas- with no idea what and when.  He is now complaining of aches around his groin and back: he has had a hot bath and gone to bed. I am trying to keep him and my elderly mother positive. Any advice/support gratefully received. 

User
Posted 23 Dec 2016 at 19:44

Hello Penny and welcome to the madhouse !!

A raised PS level does not automatically mean cancer but does raise the fact that it needs investigating.

This is being done by the referral to the hospital so at least he is being dealt with speedily. It's unfortunate that there was a problem with the probe and can only assume that it was because your husband was so tense. It's generally a bit uncomfortable although for some it can be very painful. His current pain may well be the result of the probing.

Were you given a date for the MRI. Was he given another date for another attempt at the biopsy. An MRI doesn't give a definite answer and is usually put together with the biopsy so that the multi displinary team can make a grading.

Treatment Depends on what grading is given.

You describe being in limbo and there isn't a single man or partner or family member on here who hasn't stood where you are now. It's one of the worst experiences you can have. Once you know where you are it does get easier because you feel more in control, but we do understand how you both feel

Unfortunately the nurses on this site, who are usually available for advice, have packed up for Christmas and likewise the site itself is possibly going to become quieter over the holiday period.

We can give you support in abundance. Until you have answers to what his Gleeson score is then I'm not sure what advice we can give, except to say try not to worry (easier said than done I know)

If your husband has cancer then he is lucky that it is being dealt with so quickly (and you shouldn't read anything sinister in to the speed of action) and that is more likely because a lot of people wouldn't want to have Christmas disrupted by appointments so put it off until afterwards which leaves doctors with appointments available.

Now the ball is rolling, albeit slowly, you will start getting answers.

Don't try to second guess the ifs ands and maybees. Try not to Google too much and if you do, try and stick to sites like this or Cancer UK, and avoid the American ones as they are not always relevant.

I hope somebody else will come along and offer their advice too but in the meantime I repeat, try not to worry too much.

A lot is done in terms of treatment. PC comes in a variety of guises, some more serious than others. Treatments come on line all the time, new treatments and old ones tweaked for better effectiveness. Prostate cancer isn't a death sentence if that's what is worrying him (and you)

You don't give any details of his age which would be useful to know. It sometime has a bearing on what treatments would be available.

Best Wishes and try and enjoy Christmas as much as you can.

Sandra

Edited by member 23 Dec 2016 at 19:47  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 28 Dec 2016 at 09:19
Hi Penny

The waiting is very unsettling and as Sandra said, you need to get the results of the biopsy to understand if it is PCa and at which stage it is. We've all been through biopsies - I have had three. It really is pain-free, just slight discomfort. I'm sure the shock then the immediacy of the exam caused your husband to stress, which made it painful for him.

It's difficult to tell someone to relax but it will make it a much easier and a pain-free procedure.

Good luck with the journey.

Chris

User
Posted 28 Dec 2016 at 14:17
Hi Penny

Hope things have improved. My only advice is gather more facts. On what you have posted this looks atypical. As Sandra asks .. what age. What general health etc. One single. reading of PSA 7 indicates practically nothing of use. See bob base recent post that describes the biopsy in detail. Should have been local anaesthetic, one sample was slightly painful and the Dr. apologised. Some bleeding that stopped within a few minutes. However not painful. Ie max 2 on any pain scale 1 - 10. Certainly no lasting pain when in recovery. Many members have had more than my single one so like Chris posts . He has 3 so obviously can make comparisons. The thing I remember most in the amount of people around for the procedure. I think I counted 7 . I think they were from the local training unit ! Unfortunately without a biopsy no dx. can be made. Hope this helps.

User
Posted 28 Dec 2016 at 14:50
Hi penny,

I hope he is feeling better. Just to say my husband had a template biopsy targeted after his MpMRI under general anaesthetic. After his terrible experience it would seem reasonable to me for him to request one of these.

46 cores were taken this way. He had 1 day off work and was back ( though bruised)

They said expect some blood in the semen afterwards and we experienced ... Well best described as semen in lots of blood' researching on other sites this appears normal!

Apart from that all is operational and bruising going away.

Regards

Clare

' time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted'

User
Posted 28 Dec 2016 at 15:03

Hi Penny,

There is a tendency for men to tense up making it difficult to place biopsy needles to extract cores with the normal TRUS biopsy. One way round this is to have a transperineal template biopsy which is given under anaesthesia if the medics are prepared to do this more involved procedure. It is also less likely to result in infection as the needles do not go through the rectum. It is better to have an MRI before biopsy as often this enables the surgeon to steer the needles into the cancer seen on the MRI. If the biopsy is done first, the damage caused to the Prostate means that it can take a few weeks before this is sufficiently healed to enable a well defined MRI

Should cancer be found, if it is at an early stage your husband may be offered just monitoring. This defers the potential side effects of treatments. He may alternatively be offered one or more radical treatments and be given some time to make a decision on what to go with. The toolkit available from the publications section of this charity is a very good resource.

Do let us know how your husband gets on and if cancer is confirmed as much as possible about the full diagnosis which can only be given when all the tests have been completed and assessed.

In passing I would suggest you delete you surname from the profile if indeed you have shown your real name, in the interest of privacy.

Barry