I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

surgical castration

User
Posted 27 Dec 2016 at 06:21

I was diagnosed with locally advanced prostate cancer, had 39 radiation treatments, and have had three Lupron shots.  I have found Lupron gives me extreme black thoughts. My oncologist was planning to do 24 months of Lupron.  I am sure I want to quit Lupron.   I have a urologist who is willing to do surgical castration and then prescribe casodex 50mg daily afterward.

It is my understanding that Lupron and surgical castration are equally effective.  Has anyone had surgical castration and willing to share the side effects.  

Thanks

User
Posted 18 Jan 2017 at 15:02

Hi Andrew, Thanks for replying. Its the low testosterone that saps the morale. Not much improvement in energy from  the Zoladex days. At some expense I am taking a private rehab course. I am a total  NHS supporter, but a friend who had CA persuaded me, but I still feel a bit guilty. An hour of torture twice a week, plus endless walking. Trouble is it all this saps what little energy I have. At least I might loose some weight. Has anyone had testo  come back properly a year after Z. 72 in Feb.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2017 at 23:26

I think you need to start your own thread if you want responses Otto - this is Zet's conversation about orchiectomy

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Dec 2016 at 17:06

Hi Zet

I'm surprised that orchiectomy was an option suggested to you....(since by having RT I would assume that your PC is confined to the prostate/surrounding areas)!!
Have you tried other drugs besides Lupron? Like Zoladex, Bicalutamide, enzalutamide, Abiraterone etc.....
Or even antidepressants?
Since you just had your RT...would it not be better and wait to see the results first?
What was your PSA before and after RT? and your Gleason?

User
Posted 28 Dec 2016 at 02:10

I'm surprised that orchiectomy was an option suggested to you....(since by having RT I would assume that your PC is confined to the prostate/surrounding areas)!!      (Diagnosis: locally advanced cancer)

Have you tried other drugs besides Lupron? Like Zoladex, Bicalutamide, enzalutamide, Abiraterone etc..... (Lupron only)

Or even antidepressants? (PROZAC)

Since you just had your RT...would it not be better and wait to see the results first? (I WILL TALK TO MY ONCOLOGIST)

What was your PSA before and after RT? and your Gleason? (6.0 BEFORE, 0.16 AFTER,  GLEASON 8 (4+4))

I will talk to my oncologist about the issues you raised.  Thanks, I appreciate you input.

User
Posted 03 Jan 2017 at 18:36

Probably a bit too soon to consider orchidectomy - better to try a couple of alternative hormones first. You may find that the side effects causing you the most distress don't go away simply by stopping the Lupron - some side effects remain in the body long-term or permanently while castration will still cause some (including fatigue, muscle weakness, pain)

I can think of a couple of members who have had the orchiectomy (as it is more commonly known in the UK) but will leave it up to them to decide whether they want to be named openly. If you join the YANAnow web forum, you will find a number of men that have had the op including a couple in Canada. 

Edited by member 03 Jan 2017 at 18:40  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Jan 2017 at 15:02

Hi Andrew, Thanks for replying. Its the low testosterone that saps the morale. Not much improvement in energy from  the Zoladex days. At some expense I am taking a private rehab course. I am a total  NHS supporter, but a friend who had CA persuaded me, but I still feel a bit guilty. An hour of torture twice a week, plus endless walking. Trouble is it all this saps what little energy I have. At least I might loose some weight. Has anyone had testo  come back properly a year after Z. 72 in Feb.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2017 at 23:26

I think you need to start your own thread if you want responses Otto - this is Zet's conversation about orchiectomy