Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontinence from radiotherapy

User
Posted 27 Dec 2016 at 16:27

Hello

Have raised this problem before, maybe someone has a similar problem and can comment. A brief history, I had prostate removed in 2008, then follow up radiotherapy in early 2015. The later procedure has resulted in Proctitus and Radiation Cystitus. Had very little problem with incontinence until I had Rigid Cystoscopy(because of significant blood in urine) about 5 weeks ago--Rigid Cystoscopy involves inserting a fairly large diameter tube into the bladder.

After this treatment i have suffered incontinence, its quite severe in that over the last 3/4 days I leak each time I move--this has been very sudden. Have done the usual exercises and the relevant muscles seem quite strong as I can feel good contraction when I release.

Usually I experince a spasm when leaking, like a nerve being activated. I would be grateful if anyone could comment on my situation. Are there any treatments for addressing this condition--I've been avoiding drinking alcohol or caffeine drinks.

John o G

User
Posted 27 Dec 2016 at 20:47

Bumping your post for you John as it's creeping down the list

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Dec 2016 at 22:08

It may be that a member in a similar situation has not seen your post it being a time of the year when many do not look in. It could also be that no member has has quite the same experience. I think it would be worthwhile seeking the opinion of your GP and if he/she feels it appropriate your oncologist or you could seek an appointment direct with your oncologist, perhaps through his/her secretary.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Dec 2016 at 20:30
Hi

I'm not sure that I can help but bear with me. Hubby has a high Gleason (10) and is incurable. 5 years after diagnosis he started having severe urinary retention. Ended up with a suprapubic catheter and numerous operations this year. However he also had RT to the prostate in June to try to reverse some issues with kidney blockage and has had a miserable time time since then with spasms and leaking. He takes antichologenic medications to prevent the spasms (and also things he describes as twinges, which are different but as bad). The meds are solefenicin and Bettmiga and they are specifically for bladder spasms. I'm not sure if this will help and I think these need to be ordered by a urologist but worth a try perhaps? He also has regular constipation, but that could be the RT and/or the surgical interventions he has needed this year.

Kind regards

Devonmaid.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 00:50

Hi John,

Two things that helped me, when I suffered from post RT incontinence were:

Tamsulosin, in all I was on it for over a year after RT, I think it works by making sure you do properly empty your bladder when you have a pee, certainly I had a good strong jet with it.  My Consultant had told me that I would be on Tamsulosin for life, however after about a year I found I could do with out it.

Radiation Cystitis, I found Cranberries the best cure for this, not the Cranberry juice drinks they sell in supermarkets because when you look on the list of ingredients you find they are basically sugar and water with a few cranberries for flavour.

You want to get the actual berries, the supermarkets are full of them at the moment for Christmas dinners, boil them up for about ten minutes with a little water, and you will get cranberry stew, a bowl of that every day soon sorted my cystitis.

:)

Dave