I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help please - is this 'normal'???

User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 17:39
So back to hospital again today for the 3rd TWOC after focal cryotherapy 4 weeks ago. Previous 2 attempts ended in rentention with agonising bladder spasm And its happened again today.

My poor husband was in total writhing agony (sky high BP and pulse of 140) with no nurse available to recatheterise because of Christmas. Overworked doctors coming late to help. After multiple different drugs (they wanted oromorph but couldn't find any!) and an eventual recatheterisation the spasms stopped. They were bad enough to expel faeces adding to the awfulness for my husband. He chose this treatment as he thought the side effects would be less than RP. He's now been told he should see consultant asap to see if there is something else going on. After last failed TWOC he had an MRI, which didn't show anything

Has anyone else gone though anything like this? I'm finding it increasingly hard to be positive and am wondering what the hell they've done to him

Thanks

User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 19:29
Sorry it's triall without catheter. After they take it out you have to be able to pee before they let you leave

Edited by member 29 Dec 2016 at 20:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 20:06
I'm so sorry to hear this, my own hubby has been through two TWOCs so far in the last year, neither worked and spasms are a fact of life for us. He takes Solefenicin and Bettmiga but the spasms are excruciating. In his case it's likely his Supra pubic catheter is responsible, and we've had to try to live with it. I hope you have much better luck.

Devonmaid.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 20:35
Thanks for post

Devonmaid

The prospect of this being permanent fills me with dread. Cannot imagine how you are both coping

He has been put on solifenacin today. Maybe that will help.

Edited by member 29 Dec 2016 at 22:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Dec 2016 at 18:21
BJS

My spasms were/are not constant so in a pause between spams I would insert a catheter. The smaller the Catheter the easier it is to release the urine, I use a lofric 12 for urine release but the use IQ 14/16/18 to keep the stricture open.

The second major retention I had lasted for about five hours and in that time a urologist was trying to get catheters and dilators into the bladder without success,I was given 5mg of morphine but it had little effect. They abandoned the process and I managed to dribble some urine out. After a night in hospital I was let out but went into retention again the next day, as soon as the feeling of retention started I got my catheters out and released the urine.

The next day I had a full dilatation in a treatment room with no anesthetic or pain relief, that was the third dilatation in 4 days. The urologist is also my ED consultant after about twenty minutes of trying to get a catheter in with my penis in one hand and a dilator in the other hand he turned to me and said "Mr X I can assure you I am in no pain whatsoever".

You said you oh would not be able to self catherise, desperate times can persuade the mind to overcome all sorts of obsticles.

The process of urinating is quite complicated, in a normal male if we get the urge to urinate and cannot get to the loo the urge will normally go away. If I have had a spell of retention and get the urge to go I will try to have a controlled leak as I am getting to the loo or behind a bush.

Sorry for the delay replying.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Feb 2017 at 13:53

hi Chris, this is an update as you were so kind to respond to my previous posts. After a 4th failed TWOC, J was admitted for a TURP. The surgeon removed a lot of dead tissue - there was no way he could ever have managed to pee through all that so at least we now know why it all happened. He is just over a week since the op and he can pee! Being without a catheter is a huge relief but he is still very anxious he might go into retention

Thanks again

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 19:17

Hi
What is TWOC ??

User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 19:29
Sorry it's triall without catheter. After they take it out you have to be able to pee before they let you leave

Edited by member 29 Dec 2016 at 20:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 20:06
I'm so sorry to hear this, my own hubby has been through two TWOCs so far in the last year, neither worked and spasms are a fact of life for us. He takes Solefenicin and Bettmiga but the spasms are excruciating. In his case it's likely his Supra pubic catheter is responsible, and we've had to try to live with it. I hope you have much better luck.

Devonmaid.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 20:35
Thanks for post

Devonmaid

The prospect of this being permanent fills me with dread. Cannot imagine how you are both coping

He has been put on solifenacin today. Maybe that will help.

Edited by member 29 Dec 2016 at 22:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 21:05
BJS

I have had about 10 TWOCs and never failed to pass enough urine. For the last three months I have been going into retention between one and six times a day.

I am also on solifenacin and have also been on oxybutynin,detrusitol and tamslosin(not all the same time). I cannot seem to find the trigger that induces the retention. A quick insertion of a catheter soon releases any thing upto 400ml of urine.

The catheters I use are a semi ridgid hard material, not the soft indwelling catheter your OH probably has.

Someone on here once said only let a urologist fit a catheter.

Hope the medication helps sort the problem, solifenacin certainly helped increase the capacity of my bladder.

Thanks Chris

Added meant to say I had surgery.

Edited by member 29 Dec 2016 at 21:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Dec 2016 at 21:17
Thanks Chris. J was shown how to self catheterise before catheter #3 but catheter removal seems to trigger spasms and then there is no way he could do it himself. He seems to be in a vicious circle. Am so sorry to hear about your retention. Hope it might resolve one day
User
Posted 31 Dec 2016 at 10:41
Hi Chris. Sorry, another question. How in earth do you manage to self catheterise if you are having spasm? J could not do anything apart from walk up and down bent over in pain. It even took him a long time to keep still enough for doc to recatheterise him

I read your background and it sounds like you've had a really tough time - I am so sorry

Thanks

User
Posted 31 Dec 2016 at 18:21
BJS

My spasms were/are not constant so in a pause between spams I would insert a catheter. The smaller the Catheter the easier it is to release the urine, I use a lofric 12 for urine release but the use IQ 14/16/18 to keep the stricture open.

The second major retention I had lasted for about five hours and in that time a urologist was trying to get catheters and dilators into the bladder without success,I was given 5mg of morphine but it had little effect. They abandoned the process and I managed to dribble some urine out. After a night in hospital I was let out but went into retention again the next day, as soon as the feeling of retention started I got my catheters out and released the urine.

The next day I had a full dilatation in a treatment room with no anesthetic or pain relief, that was the third dilatation in 4 days. The urologist is also my ED consultant after about twenty minutes of trying to get a catheter in with my penis in one hand and a dilator in the other hand he turned to me and said "Mr X I can assure you I am in no pain whatsoever".

You said you oh would not be able to self catherise, desperate times can persuade the mind to overcome all sorts of obsticles.

The process of urinating is quite complicated, in a normal male if we get the urge to urinate and cannot get to the loo the urge will normally go away. If I have had a spell of retention and get the urge to go I will try to have a controlled leak as I am getting to the loo or behind a bush.

Sorry for the delay replying.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Feb 2017 at 13:53

hi Chris, this is an update as you were so kind to respond to my previous posts. After a 4th failed TWOC, J was admitted for a TURP. The surgeon removed a lot of dead tissue - there was no way he could ever have managed to pee through all that so at least we now know why it all happened. He is just over a week since the op and he can pee! Being without a catheter is a huge relief but he is still very anxious he might go into retention

Thanks again