I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wearing a conveen

User
Posted 30 Dec 2016 at 18:03

Hi is anybody having trouble with wearing a conveen. Seems to leak most days ?

Regards

Frisby

User
Posted 30 Dec 2016 at 20:55
Frisby

I did use the bard system of sheaths, I had an occasional problem of the sheath sticking to itself internally and when I urinated pressure would build up and urine would come out of the wrong end of the sheath. My biggest problem was getting the sheaths off, even with the adhesive release spray. I did neutralise the first bit of adhesive to try and stop the internal sticking and make it a bit easier to remove.

I did find them a life changer.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 31 Dec 2016 at 07:30

They come in different lengths.  It may be you have the shorter length, try the longer length.  I found massaging the penis to a longer length and then putting the condom like sheath on the best way and no leaks.  I too had minor trouble with removal.\

However, it was worth it - i dislike urinating onto a pad.  Plus you did not have to stop to change pads.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2016 at 09:20
Zet

Good point about the length, the Bard ones also come in different diameters and you get a girth gauge with the supplies.

Frisby

Were you measured for the supplies you got or were they purchased from an internet site or similar.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 31 Dec 2016 at 10:12
Although they sent me a gauge I realised that I had still possibly ordered the wrong size. I phoned them and they sent me a couple of different ones to try. Once I had the right size I never looked back and had no trouble at all.

Try phoning Coloplast and have a chat to their advisors as they are very helpful and once you get it right the system for me was a game changer.

All the best.

Kevan

User
Posted 31 Dec 2016 at 12:50

Make sure the pipe into the bag is not pulling on the sheath. I used to keep the upper strap as high as possible so it was taking the weight of the bag and leaving some slack in the pipe above it. I did have the occasional leak, but in the main, no problems. The tightness of the upper strap has to be a compromise between being too slack and cutting off the blood supply to the leg.

Re: taking off, being a hairy bod, I used to shave (very carefully), and found initial adhesion and removal by rolling down easy (and not too painful...).

Conveen - definitely a life saver.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2017 at 21:47

hi I use coloplast sheafs they have different sizes and they are very helpful in getting you the right sizes they will send you samples to try I find  by putting a adhesive on first that they supply and they do stay on without leaks but I still wear a small pads as security I use them every day but wear a pad at night I am only wearing them until I can have a AUS fitted this march all been well I hope this is helpful and good luck

User
Posted 05 Jan 2017 at 22:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi is anybody having trouble with wearing a conveen. Seems to leak most days ?

Regards

Frisby

Where does it leak from?

I used conveens for several months, without issue once I had overcome the issues.

Without knowing exactly what your issue is, I will cover off the problems I had early on, and hope this covers your problem.  If  not ask away.

1.  size and fitting problems.  When I was measured at the hospital, the ward was very warm.  Very warm environment leads to an enlarged penis, leads to a larger size conveen than you might need at normal room temperatures.  

Solution = smaller size conveen for normal temperature use.  In addition I used insulating tape to secure the conveen to my body.  Also shave the base of your penis to enable as good a seal as possible.  This also means that removal of the conveen is easier and pulls less hair out.

2.  Leaking at the base?  Leaking where it joins the bag tube?  Tugging?

Solution = convenes come with 2 "trunk" lengths, the nozzle bit at the end. If your conveen is tugging at the tube, get ones with a longer tube. Wear it as high and you can on your leg, use additional ties to secure the bag so that the bag does not ride down with use. 

If you are more specific with your problem, we may be able to offer a more bespoke solution for you to try?

atb

dave (a fan of the correctly used conveen)

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2017 at 23:37

Maybe indirectly a contributor, could be the bag slipping down the leg. As well as the supplied straps which I used, I additionally obtained an elasticated sleeve (which they do in different girths), to slide over the leg and help secure the bag in the desired position. This is far preferable to wearing pads but can't recommend it for running as even with this additional way of supporting the bag it then tends to slip

Barry