I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

On the 6th day of Christmas.....

User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 18:46

.... my PSA, undetectable for 3 1/2 years, has become detectable. Grrr!

Ok, it is very low (0.05 ng/mol), but has come as a bit of a shock just the same.  Is it possible after RP for this to be just a "blip" or is there only one way it can go?

My plan at the mo is to speak to my GP first of all and aim for a repeat test in 3 months. Or should I take a more aggressive approach?

Thanks

Flexi

User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 19:38
0.05 is still incredibly low and technically half of the undetectable level. I see your concern obviously and would suggest that you ask your GP for a repeat in 3 months. Then you may have a better idea of what is happening. Another rise could then be indicative of recurrence , and a treatment plan be made. Normally three rises are needed before action is taken , or a psa of 0.2 reached.

Good luck

Edited by member 01 Jan 2017 at 19:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 19:45

Do you take your tests at the same place/ hospital all the time?

User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 22:16
Thanks Chris.

Barry- this was my first PSA test at my local GP's. Other tests were taken at the hospital.

flexi

User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 22:54

If I have tests done at my GP , they are still analysed at Southampton General on the same machines. Worth checking though.

User
Posted 01 Jan 2017 at 23:25
Flexi

I have always had my tests done at the hospital, even though our local phlebotomist centre send them to the same Hospitial lab. The small rise could be the machine. My PSA was 0.03 for the first year or so then started to fluctate but was slowly rising to 0.13. I have never got past three month testing, I was told it was still low and may be because of all the stricture surgery, something you also know all about. I did wonder if the ISD could be having an effect. Have my next test in a couple of days and see my consultant next week.

Certainly you should at least try for three monthly testing.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 02:09

Hi Flexi,

My PSA tests are always done at the hospital even if it is the GP who makes the request, he gives the form and I have to take it to the blood test department at the hospital.  I prefer it that way because I know the sample will be treated in the same way.

I know it's worrying if you suddenly get a PSA rise, mine has risen from 0.027 in December 2015 to 0.136 just before Christmas even though most of the time I was on hormone treatment.  I'm a bit apprehensive about the next couple of tests as they may provide a clearer picture of what's going on.  It's the waiting and not knowing that's the worst thing.

I do hope that things will be ok for you and that they'll be nothing to worry about.  You've done so well so far. 

Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 10:07

I think it was Lyn's OH oncologist who said the PSA at those levels could vary between 0.02-0.05. Still worries us though. Mine has been dropping since I had adjuvant RT in 2013. Got to 0.01 but the last test was 0.02. Very minor difference but still gets you wondering.
See what your next test is. As others have said it could be due to a different lab testing it

Bri

User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 17:09

Thanks Guys!

User
Posted 03 Jan 2017 at 14:44

Our hospital usually recalibrate the machines around Christmas because it is their longest window of opportunity. This year, however, they have been replacing all machines incrementally so John's results have been a bit all over the place.

We had the conversation with Mr P about the % tolerance of the machines after dad had 2 PSA tests from one sample and got 2 different scores - it should be in my profile somewhere.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 18:41

Today I received the news, much welcomed, that my PSA is again "undetectable". 

So the rise was hopefully either down to the machine calibration (different lab), or possibly some remaining prostrate cells throwing out some PSA (if that's possible without a prostate?).

Anyway, I was easily talked into having a repeat test in three months time. 

Flexi