I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rt worries

User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 19:46
Just comming up to 2years after protate removal psa levels have been rising till now and its time to decide on RT worried about long lasting side effects .
User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 19:46
Just comming up to 2years after protate removal psa levels have been rising till now and its time to decide on RT worried about long lasting side effects .
User
Posted 22 Jan 2017 at 08:40
I had my salvage RT in May/June 2016 and I was worried more about dealing with possible side effects than the PCA. Thinking about it I concluded that the RT offered a potential cure for something that I was unable to affect on my own whereas I knew what the possible side effects could be and it was within my power to deal with them. I can't say that I would choose 33 sessions of RT as a fun experience but it wasn't anything like as bad as I had imagined. The treatment itself is nothing more than lying on a bed for a few minutes and for me the side effects were virtually non existent. The greatest problem was overcoming the fear of the unknown and having overcome that the treatment itself was easy to manage. I am still awaiting the outcome but no regrets about going for it.

Hope this helps

Kevan

User
Posted 22 Jan 2017 at 18:56

Simple mate (as if). As Kevan said the RT treatment is painless and each session is over quickly. There may be some side effects there may not be. But this will potentially be your last shot at getting rid of it.

I have no idea of your circumstances or your outlook on life but if you want a chance at life then I think the decision is a no brainer.

Check my profile

Bri

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Jan 2017 at 23:21

Charlie,

You don't say whether you will have HT and if so for how long which can exacerbate the affects of RT.

The potential 'long lasting side effects of RT' include periodic radiation proctitis, possible reduction in penis size and increasing erectile dysfunction. A comparatively few number of men may develop late cancers of other organs attributed to the RT given for PCa. I assume you will be offered a form of EBRT. How well this is delivered and the routes it takes and the way your body responds will contribute to the extent and severity of late side effects and it is difficult if not impossible to determine this in advance.

You have to ask yourself whether it is worth potential side effects of RT in the hope that this would eradicate or set the PCa back. Only you can decide this.

Barry
User
Posted 07 Jan 2017 at 10:11
Not planning on HT but 33 sessions of RT .still have some incontinance now and nerve damage main worries are more nerve damage and incontinance getting worse need to make a decision by 2 feb anyone out theare been in a similar position .x
User
Posted 07 Jan 2017 at 10:57
C

I am now two and a half years post RARP and possibly heading in the same direction,with a slowly rising PSA, post op was 0.03 three months ago it was 0.13, I get my latest test result on Tuesday and will have a better picture then.

You have not said what your history is e.g PSA levels etc ,it might help others give you more info.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Jan 2017 at 11:02

In your shoes I would want to understand why they aren't offering HT - the RT is more likely to be curative if supplemented with a few months HT first.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jan 2017 at 12:00
Psa levels post op was 0.01 3 months ago it was 0.19
User
Posted 07 Jan 2017 at 14:23

I am not sure what decision there is to make Charlie? Your PSA shows that some cancer is still lurking and active so while you might be a bit worried about the side effects of RT I think it needs to be considered that the side effects of becoming incurable would be much worse. If they are offering RT they must believe that the left-behind cancer is in the prostate bed - have you talked to the doctors about what they are basing that assessment on?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jan 2017 at 15:05
Dont think there is a desision to make when you put it that way . Thanks very much for the input xxxxx
User
Posted 07 Jan 2017 at 15:10

It seems very likely looking at your profile that you are still in the curable camp , with a gradual recurrence purely in the prostate bed. I would ask them if this is the case and base your decision on that. You went for cure once and so if it is available again then you might come round to a decision. I have rejected RT twice now , not only because of the possible side-effects on top of surgery , but because they told me it wouldn't be curative. I was happier to take HT

User
Posted 21 Jan 2017 at 22:10
Been out had a few drinks 1st of feb getting closer when i need to decide whether RT or not 2 years since rrp psa 0.19 need some friendly advice xx
User
Posted 22 Jan 2017 at 08:40
I had my salvage RT in May/June 2016 and I was worried more about dealing with possible side effects than the PCA. Thinking about it I concluded that the RT offered a potential cure for something that I was unable to affect on my own whereas I knew what the possible side effects could be and it was within my power to deal with them. I can't say that I would choose 33 sessions of RT as a fun experience but it wasn't anything like as bad as I had imagined. The treatment itself is nothing more than lying on a bed for a few minutes and for me the side effects were virtually non existent. The greatest problem was overcoming the fear of the unknown and having overcome that the treatment itself was easy to manage. I am still awaiting the outcome but no regrets about going for it.

Hope this helps

Kevan

User
Posted 22 Jan 2017 at 18:56

Simple mate (as if). As Kevan said the RT treatment is painless and each session is over quickly. There may be some side effects there may not be. But this will potentially be your last shot at getting rid of it.

I have no idea of your circumstances or your outlook on life but if you want a chance at life then I think the decision is a no brainer.

Check my profile

Bri