I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Histology meeting a let down and worry

User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 14:15
Hi again.....had my Histology meeting with the Consultant today.....8 weeks after the RP.....but he couldn't tell me anything other than the report hadn't arrived!....
He did have the result of my high sensitivity PSA test, taken at 6 weeks, and that was 2.9......which was a surprise....I was expecting almost nil.....but he said that it might have been too early at 6 weeks and he has arranged another test in a month.....so I was hoping for some good news to cheer me up and now I don't really know what is going on.....will have to wait another month to find out if my PSA indicates that the RP wasn't a total success and I need further treatment and also what my prostate itself revealed.....anyone else experienced this sort of thing please?......Cheers, Paul......
User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 17:00

Hi mate, the PSA is quite high following the RP. Also really disappointing for you that he didn't have your histology report.

Another PSA test in a month will make things a bit clearer. Personally I would have wanted a referral to an oncologist to pre-empt another high score i.e. So you are not waiting around too long if they decide to refer after your next test. But that is just my opinion.

I hope the next result offers more reassurance to you

Bri

User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 17:56

Hi Paul
Click my picture and read my profile if you want. I had prostate removal but it was found I was locally advanced. At histology I had positive margins on my bladder , and 5 of 18 lymph nodes were cancerous. 8 week psa was 1.5 but rose to 2.4 at twelve weeks post op. I've rejected RT twice so far as they told me I wasn't on a curative path anymore. I did 11 months HT but have now stopped and psa rising again. Going to have another PET scan next month to see what happening. Let's hope your next psa test is better. It was a bit early maybe. Don't give up hope.
Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 17:00

Hi mate, the PSA is quite high following the RP. Also really disappointing for you that he didn't have your histology report.

Another PSA test in a month will make things a bit clearer. Personally I would have wanted a referral to an oncologist to pre-empt another high score i.e. So you are not waiting around too long if they decide to refer after your next test. But that is just my opinion.

I hope the next result offers more reassurance to you

Bri

User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 17:36
Hi Brian....thanks for the reply....the chap I saw was the surgeon who did my operation.......he said that if the next PSA test still showed PSA presence then he would arrange Imagiing and then RT......just wondering if all,is actually ok and the PSA is the leftovers from my Prostate......original MRI scan showed the cancer all within the capsule.....Cheers, Paul....
User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 17:56

Hi Paul
Click my picture and read my profile if you want. I had prostate removal but it was found I was locally advanced. At histology I had positive margins on my bladder , and 5 of 18 lymph nodes were cancerous. 8 week psa was 1.5 but rose to 2.4 at twelve weeks post op. I've rejected RT twice so far as they told me I wasn't on a curative path anymore. I did 11 months HT but have now stopped and psa rising again. Going to have another PET scan next month to see what happening. Let's hope your next psa test is better. It was a bit early maybe. Don't give up hope.
Chris

User
Posted 07 Jan 2017 at 16:04
Paul

All the reports are computerised, so where is it? Could you give your named nurse a call, or your GP?

My hospital is super speedy with things.

Unfortunately, my cancer was upgraded in the lab post surgery, so if I were you, I wouldn't be happy with their administrative errors.

Walter