Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA nearly 4 years after RRP

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 18:13

Good news should be shared.  

So, nearly 4 years after RRP at The Royal Reading on 13 May 2013, my latest PSA 0.02.

Now, they usually come in at  <0.1, <0.01 or < 0.001.  The GP who reviewed it said normal, no action.

The receptionist said that they will not take any action until, and unless I have a PSA of 4.

Would have thought that PSA 4 for a man without a prostate would be a bit high and rather late to act?

My best wishes to all those out there still dealing, my thoughts are with you all.

Have a good weekend.

A few beers tonight to celebrate.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 18:13

Good news should be shared.  

So, nearly 4 years after RRP at The Royal Reading on 13 May 2013, my latest PSA 0.02.

Now, they usually come in at  <0.1, <0.01 or < 0.001.  The GP who reviewed it said normal, no action.

The receptionist said that they will not take any action until, and unless I have a PSA of 4.

Would have thought that PSA 4 for a man without a prostate would be a bit high and rather late to act?

My best wishes to all those out there still dealing, my thoughts are with you all.

Have a good weekend.

A few beers tonight to celebrate.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 18:55
That's great news Dave about the beer oh and the PSA is pretty good too

Enjoy mate

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 19:24
CB

Great news mate really pleased for you. Will open a bottle of coke tonight,and I might just mix a large vodka with it.

Thanks Chris and Dawn

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 19:30

Sounds Fantastic Dave. Dammit I'm gonna have to open a bottle of red now just to help share your good fortune mate.
Thanks for your help.
Chris

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 20:46
Good results Dave and good to hear the receptionist is on the ball???

Bri

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 21:25

Great news Dave, have a beer for me too.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 22:49
CB

fantabidoozle result so not at all surprised you will be enjoying a few beers tonight. Indeed I suspect by now you most probably have!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend

xx

Mo

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 23:16

Bloody stupid receptionist :-/

Lyn x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jan 2017 at 10:27

I find it highly unlikely a receptionist will know diddlysquat about PCa particularly IMO when the medical people know about as much. Having said that there are some great GP's out there who are pro-active.

The nurse at my surgery said to me "you don't need a PSA test as you haven't got a Prostate". Time for her to retire methinks.

Enjoy your weekend Dave
Bri

User
Posted 21 Jan 2017 at 17:13

Great news Dave

We are house/dog/chickens/duck and rabbit sitting for our daughter for a week and she has left us wine.

We don't actually need much encouragement to imbibe but tonight I shall raise a glass to you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Jan 2017 at 23:49

Top news Dave! Cheers!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 18:55
That's great news Dave about the beer oh and the PSA is pretty good too

Enjoy mate

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 19:24
CB

Great news mate really pleased for you. Will open a bottle of coke tonight,and I might just mix a large vodka with it.

Thanks Chris and Dawn

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 19:30

Sounds Fantastic Dave. Dammit I'm gonna have to open a bottle of red now just to help share your good fortune mate.
Thanks for your help.
Chris

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 20:46
Good results Dave and good to hear the receptionist is on the ball???

Bri

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 21:25

Great news Dave, have a beer for me too.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 22:49
CB

fantabidoozle result so not at all surprised you will be enjoying a few beers tonight. Indeed I suspect by now you most probably have!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend

xx

Mo

User
Posted 20 Jan 2017 at 23:16

Lyn x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jan 2017 at 09:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Lyn x

Pretty much what I thought Lyn, largely based on what I have read here.  Receptionist probably not as well read as those here who are dealing with the impact not just the appointment making.  

I am thinking of paying for a test in 3 months?

And if it got to 1.0, I would ask for action.  Thoughts?

Thanks for the comments All, glad to know I was not drinking alone last nighthttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif.  

It's a beautiful weekend.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2017 at 10:27

I find it highly unlikely a receptionist will know diddlysquat about PCa particularly IMO when the medical people know about as much. Having said that there are some great GP's out there who are pro-active.

The nurse at my surgery said to me "you don't need a PSA test as you haven't got a Prostate". Time for her to retire methinks.

Enjoy your weekend Dave
Bri

User
Posted 21 Jan 2017 at 16:35
Dave

With regard to the latest test you had, was it done at the same lab, using the same equipment? A reading of 0.02 on a standard test could possibly be a 0.015 rounded up? even without a prostate I believe it is possible to get tiny traces of PSA that are not created by cancerous cells ... I remember Lynn Eyre once explaining that even us ladies can get a positive PSA reading under certain circumstances.

In any event without a prostate any series of consecutive rises would IMO possibly merit a return to closer monitoring. The situation becomes very unclear on exactly when any action should be taken and if it would make things any clearer if it were.

Take Chris J for instance, he knows something is making his PSA rise. In the absence of a prostate, levels of between 1 and 2 most likely means that cancerous prostate like cells or micro mets have set up camp somewhere else. The big problem is where and what can be done to find them?

I think the advancement of MRI and other imaging techniques is making it possible for a more accurate discovery of the location of such "micro mets" However they need to be big enough to be seen by these incredible scanners. At the moment that is thought to only be realistic with a PSA above 2. I presume that once the micromets are located then the combined urology/oncology team can come up with the most viable treatment options.

I know that there have been reports of very successful destruction of these micro mets using targeted treatments.

So a lot of stuff still out there should it get to that stage.

I hope someone with far more wisdom and specific knowledge than me replies to your post.

For now though try to enjoy the good times.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 21 Jan 2017 at 17:13

Great news Dave

We are house/dog/chickens/duck and rabbit sitting for our daughter for a week and she has left us wine.

We don't actually need much encouragement to imbibe but tonight I shall raise a glass to you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Jan 2017 at 21:25

great news Dave really pleased for you. Andy

User
Posted 21 Jan 2017 at 23:49

Top news Dave! Cheers!