Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Receding finger nails

User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 10:33
Good afternoon

Has anyone experienced 'receding finger nails' whilst under going HT or chemotherapy? The nails seem to grow very quickly but are slowly detaching themselves from the underlying nail bed back towards the cuticles. It is not in anyway painful but I do fear that I might eventually loose some, or all, of my fingernails. I am taking turmeric/Reishi supplements but I'm not sure if this is a factor.

There are also marked sideways depression appearing from the cuticles on a number of my fingers; I'm not so worried about these as the NHS website states that this is a common occurrence during chemotherapy or serious illness.

Any observations/comments most appreciated.

Regards

Boyd

User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 11:01

Hi Boyd,

I seem to remember a simple rule of thumb, if you have ridges in your fingernails that run vertically from the cuticle, it is nothing to worry about, if you have ridges or abnormalities that run horizontally across the finger nail you should let your GP have a look.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 14:52
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 11:01

Hi Boyd,

I seem to remember a simple rule of thumb, if you have ridges in your fingernails that run vertically from the cuticle, it is nothing to worry about, if you have ridges or abnormalities that run horizontally across the finger nail you should let your GP have a look.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 14:52
User
Posted 27 Jan 2017 at 08:20
Thanks for the link and the information David. It has put my mind at rest that my finger nail loss in 'normal' under the circumstances! Thankfully it's one of the least troublesome side effects in the catalogue of those that could be expected.

Thanks again. Onward and upwards...

Boyd