I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Getting Fed up with this

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 07:11

Title says it all. Since the problems when the site when down for no reason I  have had to log in every day, despite asking to be remembered. Does it happen to anyone else or it is just me and my computer.

I tried to ask this yesterday but the site would not accept my conversation as it said there was already a topic on it or it wasn't interesting enough so I have made this post longer and changed the title.

Now to see if it is accepted !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 Jan 2017 at 10:32

Hi everyone,

Thank you Johsan for flagging the issues you are experiencing when using the online community.

There may be several reasons why your browser started to forget your username and password for the site. It may be that your cookie to remember your login details has somehow become corrupted. This solution to this is usually to clear cookies but bear in mind this would mean you having to login for all sites you remember passwords for. However I can see on your post that the issue appears to have rectified itself and you were able to login yesterday morning as normal. One possibility is that it was a corrupted cookie regenerating so the issue has fixed itself once the new cookie was created. I can appreciate how frustrating this was for you.

We are aware of the performance issues with the server and agree that is not acceptable. We are working on rectifying this and I hope to be able to bring you good news about this problem in the next few weeks. We appreciate your patience as this has been an ongoing issue for a while.

Regarding new conversation titles – they need to be unique so if another thread exists with the same title as yours – You will need to slightly change the title of your post. This is how this particular forum software works.

Best wishes,
Carol

Digital Manager
Prostate Cancer UK

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 09:43

Don't know Sandra as I access via my iPhone so I suppose I am always logged on. The issue of titles is not new and it will prompt you to change the title if it detects that its the same or very similar to a previous thread with that title

Bri

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 10:11

Sandra. Recently had to sign in everyday via mobile. What I did yesterday was unclick 'remember me' then click it back on again after entering user name and password. Ok this morning but that could be coincidence.

Ray

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 14:10

I am logged in all the time on my PC, the laptop, my phone and the iPad. Haven't had any problems with any of them, sorry Johsan :-(

PS I use chrome rather than internet explorer - I wonder if that makes a difference?

Edited by member 28 Jan 2017 at 14:11  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 15:40

My patience is somewhat tried also on 'Log on' (and off) which I do on every occasion because whatever time I do this it always takes an age for the site to come up or to complete the log out process. I am using a pretty decent windows 10 lap top or an older 'Vista' quality lap top and both have plenty of spare capacity. I largely use 'Firefox', one of the reasons being that generally I find it quicker. Other sites come up more quickly so I can't explain it.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 17:54
I have had problems with different browsers - particularly Chrome. The site is incredibly slow. I'm in the tech business so it's not as if I don't know what I'm doing or what should be expected.

The forum software is fine, but there are definite performance issues.

Chris

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 18:22

Hi Sandra
I had issues while they were offline and then online again. I LOVE PCUK but to be fair their website is still bordering on amateur re searching and page-turning and navigation etc.
I completely removed PCUK from my browser , then I re-applied and entered my password etc. Only then did I save the page in favourites , and it's worked since then ! Thanks for all your input for everyone xx

User
Posted 29 Jan 2017 at 10:06
In a nutshell its down to money. Im pretty sure the performance issues people are experiencing are down to the host end of the system not the user end (wel l not in most cases) The host system for the forum is run off an inadequate server. The recent downtime was due to that server crashing repeatedly and needing emergency maintenance.

The charity should have an obligation to provide much better online support but if people don't use the service then they can't justify more investment. A bit of a catch 22.

During the recent outages on the forum I believe the main site was still operational.

I have given input for a number of technical issues but have given up as it is totally ignored.

At our hospice anyone who fundraises or donates money can ask for that to be spent in a specific way i.e hospice at home, the day unit or one of the in patient units. Maybe we should be allowed to do the same and get the online community system significantly improved?

Back to my RSPB garden watch now which is equally uninspiring!

xx

Mo

User
Posted 29 Jan 2017 at 11:37

Sandra. No sign in issues this morning using same Wi Fi. Even at sign in again times I had at least 4 signal bars so who knows.

Mo. Yes I think catch 22. Over my time here of a good 10 years the board has gone through peak and troughs of active members but the trend is downwards. The mix of those seeking information and emotional support has changed in that time to now a higher level of emotional support. The postive from that is information on charity sites is of far higher quality so perhaps less need for those seeking information. In today's world of social networking emotional support can be found elsewhere. Thus on both counts I can't see active membership increasing.

Ray

User
Posted 29 Jan 2017 at 22:33

I have had a terrible time tonight accessing the site. It is rather pathetic with today's tech to have such poor performance - it's not as if hosting is expensive and the hosting company could give an insight into why people are experiencing problems and offer a solution. 

chris

User
Posted 31 Jan 2017 at 22:06
Thank God my Cookie is Fixed. Or is that fried . 😆

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 09:43

Don't know Sandra as I access via my iPhone so I suppose I am always logged on. The issue of titles is not new and it will prompt you to change the title if it detects that its the same or very similar to a previous thread with that title

Bri

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 10:11

Sandra. Recently had to sign in everyday via mobile. What I did yesterday was unclick 'remember me' then click it back on again after entering user name and password. Ok this morning but that could be coincidence.

Ray

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 11:41

Thanks both of you.

I use my laptop for viewing the site and I did try unclicking the "remember me" bit and then ticking it again. I even properly logged out and back in again but it is still doing it.

I'll have to live with it I suppose but it is irritating

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 14:10

I am logged in all the time on my PC, the laptop, my phone and the iPad. Haven't had any problems with any of them, sorry Johsan :-(

PS I use chrome rather than internet explorer - I wonder if that makes a difference?

Edited by member 28 Jan 2017 at 14:11  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 14:31

I'm using Chrome too Lyn.

The only thing that is different is that I have been staying at our daughter's house so different wifi connection to our home but that isn't likely to be the cause is it?

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 15:40

My patience is somewhat tried also on 'Log on' (and off) which I do on every occasion because whatever time I do this it always takes an age for the site to come up or to complete the log out process. I am using a pretty decent windows 10 lap top or an older 'Vista' quality lap top and both have plenty of spare capacity. I largely use 'Firefox', one of the reasons being that generally I find it quicker. Other sites come up more quickly so I can't explain it.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 17:54
I have had problems with different browsers - particularly Chrome. The site is incredibly slow. I'm in the tech business so it's not as if I don't know what I'm doing or what should be expected.

The forum software is fine, but there are definite performance issues.

Chris

User
Posted 28 Jan 2017 at 18:22

Hi Sandra
I had issues while they were offline and then online again. I LOVE PCUK but to be fair their website is still bordering on amateur re searching and page-turning and navigation etc.
I completely removed PCUK from my browser , then I re-applied and entered my password etc. Only then did I save the page in favourites , and it's worked since then ! Thanks for all your input for everyone xx

User
Posted 29 Jan 2017 at 09:22

Well,, home from a week away using a different wifi (which I don't suppose for a minute is connected, it's just the only difference)

Logged in this morning with no trouble!!

User
Posted 29 Jan 2017 at 10:06
In a nutshell its down to money. Im pretty sure the performance issues people are experiencing are down to the host end of the system not the user end (wel l not in most cases) The host system for the forum is run off an inadequate server. The recent downtime was due to that server crashing repeatedly and needing emergency maintenance.

The charity should have an obligation to provide much better online support but if people don't use the service then they can't justify more investment. A bit of a catch 22.

During the recent outages on the forum I believe the main site was still operational.

I have given input for a number of technical issues but have given up as it is totally ignored.

At our hospice anyone who fundraises or donates money can ask for that to be spent in a specific way i.e hospice at home, the day unit or one of the in patient units. Maybe we should be allowed to do the same and get the online community system significantly improved?

Back to my RSPB garden watch now which is equally uninspiring!

xx

Mo

User
Posted 29 Jan 2017 at 11:37

Sandra. No sign in issues this morning using same Wi Fi. Even at sign in again times I had at least 4 signal bars so who knows.

Mo. Yes I think catch 22. Over my time here of a good 10 years the board has gone through peak and troughs of active members but the trend is downwards. The mix of those seeking information and emotional support has changed in that time to now a higher level of emotional support. The postive from that is information on charity sites is of far higher quality so perhaps less need for those seeking information. In today's world of social networking emotional support can be found elsewhere. Thus on both counts I can't see active membership increasing.

Ray

User
Posted 29 Jan 2017 at 22:33

I have had a terrible time tonight accessing the site. It is rather pathetic with today's tech to have such poor performance - it's not as if hosting is expensive and the hosting company could give an insight into why people are experiencing problems and offer a solution. 

chris

User
Posted 29 Jan 2017 at 23:03

Hi Chris and others agree

Something is amiss with forum. Sign in takes 2 to 3 mins.

I use different browsers, on mobile and no other forum / sites are this slow (ok  speeds when into site). This is a very small forum and low member activity (yet extremely important ) in the scheme of other sites (ie I use motoring forums / family history etc)

Hosting is peanuts agree.  We are talking £100 not £1000's

New folks 'browsing' in for help , guidance and support won't be impressed in my opinion, which is a great shame

Maybe someone will provide answers .

Regards

Gordon

User
Posted 30 Jan 2017 at 00:33

It would be useful to be able to work out commonalities and differences between us that might explain such wide ranging experiences. I have had no problems at all - it always loads quickly, I never lose posts half written or have any of these other things happen.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2017 at 08:36

Accessing the site seems to be a common issue. Although registered and from that active posters are very low what we don't know now the forum is viewable by all is just how many are trying to view it at any one time. Is that slowing the access to site down? If so would returning to the past register before viewing help?

I've had no problems with signing in again or speed even though net bars are only 3.

Ray

Edited by member 30 Jan 2017 at 08:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jan 2017 at 10:32

Hi everyone,

Thank you Johsan for flagging the issues you are experiencing when using the online community.

There may be several reasons why your browser started to forget your username and password for the site. It may be that your cookie to remember your login details has somehow become corrupted. This solution to this is usually to clear cookies but bear in mind this would mean you having to login for all sites you remember passwords for. However I can see on your post that the issue appears to have rectified itself and you were able to login yesterday morning as normal. One possibility is that it was a corrupted cookie regenerating so the issue has fixed itself once the new cookie was created. I can appreciate how frustrating this was for you.

We are aware of the performance issues with the server and agree that is not acceptable. We are working on rectifying this and I hope to be able to bring you good news about this problem in the next few weeks. We appreciate your patience as this has been an ongoing issue for a while.

Regarding new conversation titles – they need to be unique so if another thread exists with the same title as yours – You will need to slightly change the title of your post. This is how this particular forum software works.

Best wishes,
Carol

Digital Manager
Prostate Cancer UK

User
Posted 31 Jan 2017 at 22:06
Thank God my Cookie is Fixed. Or is that fried . 😆

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON