I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My dad has been diagnosed today

User
Posted 30 Jan 2017 at 16:59
Hi, my name is Alex & I have been with my dad today to hear the news we were dreading that he has confirmed prostate cancer following a biopsy.

My dads PSA is said to be very high on two separate occasions (although I did not ask what this was) and his Gleason score is 4+3 and said to be T2 by the looks of the MRI.

He had a CT scan of his bones in October when this all began which they said looked clear but he has now got to have further CT to see if it has spread to his bones etc.

I am so anxious and worried & have been driving myself mad over this since October. Although I felt better this morning for knowing diagnosis I now feel anxious & deflated again having to wait for scans & the thought of it could have spread breaks my heart.

Any words of wisdom or advice on this would be great, my dad does not want me worrying so does not want to talk about it to me,

Thank you in advance x
User
Posted 30 Jan 2017 at 17:08

Hello Alex and welcome to the site.

Wisdom and advice we have in abundance and if you could give your dad's PSA scores it will help even more.

Although PSA itself does not confirm cancer it is a good indicator that something needs checking and that has now been done with dad's confirmed diagnosis. The PSA score in dad's case may help with advice given.

If you go to Publications on this site, you can download The Toolkit, a mine of information on diagnosis and treatments.

Dad's Gleason of 4+3=7 is relatively good. It could have been much higher.

You are bound to be anxious and distressed. A Diagnosis of cancer, any cancer, can be a lot to take in and when it affects a loved one you end up feeling so helpless.

However, you have found the site now and I am sure, once you can give us more information, there will be lots of advice coming your way.

In the meantime, hard as it is, try and stay calm and not fret too much. There is a lot being done in terms of treatment now and there may well be a lot of options open to your dad.

Does dad have somebody, other than yourself, that he talks to? He is protecting you but may need support himself.

By the way, are you a son or daughter, Alex being a name for either?

Take heart. All is not lost

Edited by member 30 Jan 2017 at 17:09  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 Jan 2017 at 17:30

Hi and welcome.

Do you know what the delay has been since October? Presumably the bone scan was prompted by a significantly high PSA if he has just had the biopsy.

If you can provide a little history regarding the various tests and results it will help people here to help and support you

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 30 Jan 2017 at 17:38
Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am a daughter & my dad does have my mum to talk to also so not alone.

The consultant just said his PSA was very high but I didn't think to ask what it was. Does this mean anything if very high?

Thank you for the advice will have a look at the publications. I am concerned now about the further bone scan and the chance it may have spread. They said it was clear in oct & it looks contained to prostrate on MRI so praying it has not spread.

They have said if not spread they would suggest hormone therapy & radiation with a view to cure.

You are right I feel so helpless & am a born worrier!

Thank you again

Alex
User
Posted 30 Jan 2017 at 18:01
Hi,

Thank you for your words. My dad had a blood clot in his lung in October which resulted in treatment & various tests being recommended. He had a CT & bloods & then an MRI. The MRI results were given in December & showed a suspicious area which needed a biopsy.

The consultant said today that the previous CT in October looked clear so just going off that. Could the cancer have spread that quickly from October to now? My dad says he feels great & no aches, pains etc.

Thank you all, I am very grateful

Alex
User
Posted 30 Jan 2017 at 21:29

Alex,

I shouldn't be especially concerned that Dad is having a bone scan - it is not always done if the PSA is very high and it will hopefully help reinforce the opinion formed from that there is no spread. A bone scan is different to what Dad had previously and having it does not suggest it is because it is thought his cancer has advanced. Generally PCa is a slow growing cancer and it is unlikely that there has been a great development since October. Having said that, a few types of PCa can advance more quickly, particularly as they mutate as evidenced by higher Gleason scores.

When the result of the bone scan is considered along with all the other tests and scans a complete diagnosis will be given and appropriate treatment choice(s) offered.

Barry
User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 17:01
Hi Alex,

Worrying time I know. I had a Gleason like your dad. You didn't say how old he is? Please feel free to check out my profile and see my treatment journey.

Paul
THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE