I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How high is toohigh

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 10:06
After my husband's prostectomy and adjuvant radiotherapy we thought we'd got it beat but five years later the PSA Has crept up he is currently on daily casodex( bicalutamide) and three monthly Prostap but still the figures keep creeping up.
I fully understand the significance of doubling time but I was wondering if at any stage there should be a decision about whether the current treatment is still effective .
He went to the GP today to get his prostap and came back with the news that his PS A is 2.5 from2.2 last November. Now I know that is not doubling but I just wondered if it is significant .
He also came back to a letter postponing his appointment which was to have been this Thursday until march - so frustrating but I guess they're not concerned
User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 22:22

B

Sorry I cannot answer your question, but just bumping you up the posts in case your new post has been missed.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 23:07

Oct 2015 PSA 2.5 -Jan 2017 PSA 2.5. I read that as significantly good. 3 increases in row is likely to interest onco. As regards a specific level that very much depends on the onco. As a rough guide 4.

Ray

Edited by member 01 Feb 2017 at 23:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 23:37

It isn't the number that matters so much but what else is going on. I hope that your husband's testosterone is also measured? If his PSA is rising but his testosterone is above 0.69 it indicates that the HT is not getting him down to below castrate level and so the cancer is being fed - withdrawing the bicalutimide or a change to a slightly different hormone often does the trick. If the testosterone is below 0.69 and still the PSA rises, that suggests that the cancer has become hormone resistant ie it has learned to survive without testosterone ... that is when you need to move to the next line of treatments.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 22:22

B

Sorry I cannot answer your question, but just bumping you up the posts in case your new post has been missed.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 23:07

Oct 2015 PSA 2.5 -Jan 2017 PSA 2.5. I read that as significantly good. 3 increases in row is likely to interest onco. As regards a specific level that very much depends on the onco. As a rough guide 4.

Ray

Edited by member 01 Feb 2017 at 23:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 23:37

It isn't the number that matters so much but what else is going on. I hope that your husband's testosterone is also measured? If his PSA is rising but his testosterone is above 0.69 it indicates that the HT is not getting him down to below castrate level and so the cancer is being fed - withdrawing the bicalutimide or a change to a slightly different hormone often does the trick. If the testosterone is below 0.69 and still the PSA rises, that suggests that the cancer has become hormone resistant ie it has learned to survive without testosterone ... that is when you need to move to the next line of treatments.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 Feb 2017 at 09:29
Thanks , I will ask for a test for testosterone when we get to the oncologist I'll be interested to see her response. She did mention dropping the bicalutamide but remains on prostap in the future. The waiting is quite stressful for both of us, I can only think that the rescheduling from 9 th Feb to the 1st of March is a promising sign that there is nothing to be concerned about.
User
Posted 02 Feb 2017 at 11:12

But if you are concerned and it is stressing you both then ring and ask for an earlier appointment, even offering to take a cancellation if that's feasible for you both

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Feb 2017 at 11:17

My memory recalls GP referred you without any issue? You were transferred to Onco with scans from that. That reads the medics are on the ball which I would take comfort from. This sounds harsh but the unknown is something you need to adjust to as if the cure at present is not on the cards the control will hopefully be a very long path to travel on - look for the postives and build on them.

As regards appointments I've noted on other issues the time between the norm are being stretched.

Ray