I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

4 year post op PSA results

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 17:33
I haven't posted on the forum for quite a while - just pressures of life I am afraid.

I thought it was about time I reported my 4 year post op PSA results received last month - less than 0.02, virtually undetectable. Needless to say this once again comes as a great relief.

I hope this will give some reassurance to others traveling a similar path.

With regard to side effects:

1) Life - yes, I am alive! I confess the c word scares the living daylights out of me but I live in hope I am on the road to beating it.

2) Continence - still about 95%. If anything leaks are happening a bit more often, but I can live with things as they are.

3) ED - I regret to say this is still an issue. Reality is that 4 years down the line as things are now is how it is going to be for ever. This will be a problem for as long as I have a libido.

However, on a positive note I have at last had some success with Viradal 10mg. Only 3 successes under my belt so far but considering I waited 4 years I am chuffed to bits. On my last success I also used a soft Durex ring (as opposed to the tight rings that come with pump) as recommended by a fellow forum member and this helped.

I don't like sticking a needle down there but I I have overcome the psychological barrier.

If anyone is thinking of going down this route I would say go for it. Don't delay. If I had pressed the matter I could have had injections about 2 or 3 years ago but I hesitated because I was squeamish. The thought of injecting is actually worse than doing it. Please believe me when I say it but if I can do it so can anyone. They are doable!

I haven't suffered a priapism yet. I have found showering the todger in cold water works wonders with deflation.

I also saw my ED nurse last month. I have a lady one now, late 20's or early 30's and quite dishy, lol! I tease my wife that we are already on a first name basis. The male ego within me was worried about admitting to a young woman I had ED but she quickly put me at ease so I was able to be completely open and frank.

She wants me to persist with the 10 for a while longer before considering an increase. It looks like an increase might be necessary as the 10 hasn't worked every time. I mentioned Invicorp but she hadn't heard of it. She promised to research it and discuss with consultant. In her letter to my GP she says she might review my injection technique next time, so that will be interesting!

Another thing - she advised me to continue with use of a vacuum erection device for exercise for at least 3 times a week. This differs from advice of consultant about 2 years ago when he said use of VED 2 years after op was of no benefit. She insisted she was right in that evidence indicated use of VED even after 4 years was beneficial. I don't know who is right but I am following her advice anyway.

Sadly I have also lost some size - length and width. I have also developed a slight bend/twist, which can make things a "bit awkward". I hate to admit this but my manhood is no longer the pride and joy of pre surgery days.

Delay in using injections aside I am satisfied that considering my age and circumstances I have done all I can to regain EF. My op took over 7 hours, which is well over average so there must have been more damage down there after all. I also cannot help thinking my surgeon was in the early stages of his training.

4) Mental state - still a bit screwed up tbh (see 3). The loss of manhood has broke my heart. I have to be careful because I could quite easily become a recluse and shut myself off from the world.

I am fortunate that I have a wonderful wife who has stood by me and supported me. Not sure how I would have coped without her. She keeps me from going completely insane. ED aside I like to think I am normally a level headed person.

5) Sense of humour - still intact!

It has greatly helped writing all this down and I have poured my heart out, so thank you for listening. Apologies for going on about the same old thing again and for a long winded post.

Sending my best wishes to all.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 17:33
I haven't posted on the forum for quite a while - just pressures of life I am afraid.

I thought it was about time I reported my 4 year post op PSA results received last month - less than 0.02, virtually undetectable. Needless to say this once again comes as a great relief.

I hope this will give some reassurance to others traveling a similar path.

With regard to side effects:

1) Life - yes, I am alive! I confess the c word scares the living daylights out of me but I live in hope I am on the road to beating it.

2) Continence - still about 95%. If anything leaks are happening a bit more often, but I can live with things as they are.

3) ED - I regret to say this is still an issue. Reality is that 4 years down the line as things are now is how it is going to be for ever. This will be a problem for as long as I have a libido.

However, on a positive note I have at last had some success with Viradal 10mg. Only 3 successes under my belt so far but considering I waited 4 years I am chuffed to bits. On my last success I also used a soft Durex ring (as opposed to the tight rings that come with pump) as recommended by a fellow forum member and this helped.

I don't like sticking a needle down there but I I have overcome the psychological barrier.

If anyone is thinking of going down this route I would say go for it. Don't delay. If I had pressed the matter I could have had injections about 2 or 3 years ago but I hesitated because I was squeamish. The thought of injecting is actually worse than doing it. Please believe me when I say it but if I can do it so can anyone. They are doable!

I haven't suffered a priapism yet. I have found showering the todger in cold water works wonders with deflation.

I also saw my ED nurse last month. I have a lady one now, late 20's or early 30's and quite dishy, lol! I tease my wife that we are already on a first name basis. The male ego within me was worried about admitting to a young woman I had ED but she quickly put me at ease so I was able to be completely open and frank.

She wants me to persist with the 10 for a while longer before considering an increase. It looks like an increase might be necessary as the 10 hasn't worked every time. I mentioned Invicorp but she hadn't heard of it. She promised to research it and discuss with consultant. In her letter to my GP she says she might review my injection technique next time, so that will be interesting!

Another thing - she advised me to continue with use of a vacuum erection device for exercise for at least 3 times a week. This differs from advice of consultant about 2 years ago when he said use of VED 2 years after op was of no benefit. She insisted she was right in that evidence indicated use of VED even after 4 years was beneficial. I don't know who is right but I am following her advice anyway.

Sadly I have also lost some size - length and width. I have also developed a slight bend/twist, which can make things a "bit awkward". I hate to admit this but my manhood is no longer the pride and joy of pre surgery days.

Delay in using injections aside I am satisfied that considering my age and circumstances I have done all I can to regain EF. My op took over 7 hours, which is well over average so there must have been more damage down there after all. I also cannot help thinking my surgeon was in the early stages of his training.

4) Mental state - still a bit screwed up tbh (see 3). The loss of manhood has broke my heart. I have to be careful because I could quite easily become a recluse and shut myself off from the world.

I am fortunate that I have a wonderful wife who has stood by me and supported me. Not sure how I would have coped without her. She keeps me from going completely insane. ED aside I like to think I am normally a level headed person.

5) Sense of humour - still intact!

It has greatly helped writing all this down and I have poured my heart out, so thank you for listening. Apologies for going on about the same old thing again and for a long winded post.

Sending my best wishes to all.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 19:44

Great update Mr T and congrats on the results. I guess four years on and undetectable means you are pretty much essentially cured. But as I've said before there are many lost souls out there with your results but devastated by the aftermath , be it PSA testing anxiety , general depression and anxiety , incontinence or the dreadful reality to some men of permanent erectile dysfunction. We are all very different in how we react to circumstances. But I applaud you for speaking out freely and sharing your feelings with us all. Some people sit at home sadly unable to speak to even their own spouse. I'm glad you have the support of a great wife as do I.
I hope success continues in every avenue for you mate !

Edited by member 07 Feb 2017 at 21:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 19:17
RT

Good to hear from you again and congratulations on getting to where you are now. I am sure it will be reasuring to those starting out on thier own journeys.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 22:43

Interestingly RT, we saw the onco tonight and one of the first things he asked was whether John is still using the pump. We are 7 years down the line!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 13:51

Hi

Thanks for update and all the very best.   I'm awaiting my 2 yr post RALRP   'call up / review' in next couple of months.

I've updated my profile at last, as brother has been dx.

Take care..   

Gordon

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 19:17
RT

Good to hear from you again and congratulations on getting to where you are now. I am sure it will be reasuring to those starting out on thier own journeys.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 19:44

Great update Mr T and congrats on the results. I guess four years on and undetectable means you are pretty much essentially cured. But as I've said before there are many lost souls out there with your results but devastated by the aftermath , be it PSA testing anxiety , general depression and anxiety , incontinence or the dreadful reality to some men of permanent erectile dysfunction. We are all very different in how we react to circumstances. But I applaud you for speaking out freely and sharing your feelings with us all. Some people sit at home sadly unable to speak to even their own spouse. I'm glad you have the support of a great wife as do I.
I hope success continues in every avenue for you mate !

Edited by member 07 Feb 2017 at 21:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 22:43

Interestingly RT, we saw the onco tonight and one of the first things he asked was whether John is still using the pump. We are 7 years down the line!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 13:51

Hi

Thanks for update and all the very best.   I'm awaiting my 2 yr post RALRP   'call up / review' in next couple of months.

I've updated my profile at last, as brother has been dx.

Take care..   

Gordon