I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Me again - another PSA question

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 21:13
Last week my dad's PSA had jumped to 19 from 5 back in November. They did another one yesterday and it was 39. He has started abbi today but I've not seen anything about PSA rising so fast except in terms of it doubling in 6 months and that being really bad.

The nurse said it wasn't anything to worry about (this was yesterday before we knew today's result). Anyone think this is scary?

Bee x

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 22:41

Yes it is extremely worrying but is probably because the cancer has learned to survive without testosterone and has become more active as it feeds. The increased bone Mets will also make the PSA rise. Now that he has started abbi the number should settle quickly.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 22:53
Thanks Lyn (again).

I'm hoping the abbi works as we were told he could be on hormone injections for 2 years before they stopped working. My dad's have not last six months :(

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 23:25

We have had members here who have stayed well on hormones for 10, 12 years and more. Sadly there are some men for whom nothing really works for long. There is no way to predict it. All you can do is hope that the abiraterone stops it in its tracks, trust the doctors to know what to try in what order, leave nothing unsaid in your heart and make the most you can of every day. You have an opportunity to create many happy moments and memories, the summer will be here before we know it and who knows, he may change his mind about trying chemo at some point in the future.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Feb 2017 at 20:58

Hi Bee,

I think we have spoken before, but I have been in a similar position to your dad since last November. My PSA rose rapidly from 1.7 to 51.7, but after just 4 weeks on Abbi, it came down to 4.7. I went to the clinic yesterday and they told me my PSA had dropped to 3.3, so I would hope for the same for your dad.

Best wishes and good luck

Peter

User
Posted 10 Feb 2017 at 23:56
Thanks Peter! Again, very reassuring 😅😅