I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Inguinal hernia and robotic prostatectomy?

User
Posted 12 Feb 2017 at 11:44

I've read that, because of the nature of the surgery,  there is an increased risk of an inguinal (groin) hernia associated with radical prostatectomy.

But I've never heard of the same after a robot assisted prostatectomy, so I wondered has anyone on here had an inguinal hernia after robotic surgery, or any other problem after robotic  surgery that was fixed by surgery on the inguinal canal?

User
Posted 12 Feb 2017 at 12:40

All prostatectomies are radical so I am guessing that your question is about the difference between open and laparoscopic or between laparascopic and da vinci?
The risk is slightly lower for men that have had da vinci / LRP than those who had open RP in one large study - the lowest risk option is peritoneal RP but that seems quite an uncommon operation these days. Most of the members on here that have had IH had LRP but then that isnt so surprising as the majority of recent members opted not to have open surgery.

This is only my observation and purely anecdotal but thinking back over the last 3 or 4 years, our members that have had hernias were often the ones who had keyhole surgery and then perhaps went back to working, driving, golf or whatever very quickly .... perhaps the risk is increased by geing lulled into a false sense of security by the very tiny wounds? Anyone with a big wound across their belly or on their peritoneum is going to be reminded frequently that they have had major surgery?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Feb 2017 at 14:39

I was very careful not to do anything too strenuous after LRP but still had an inguinal hernia about a year and a half afterwards. It is difficult to associate the two - I might have been heading for the hernia anyway. After all, apparently the inguinal canal is a design issue with male anatomy...

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2018 at 19:15

Bill, I have had two such hernias. They showed up as a soft bulge through the belly muscle wall. The bit of gut sticking through was easily pushed back until I had the polyester patch repairs done. Now stronger than ever!

AC

User
Posted 14 Jan 2018 at 20:48

Similar symptoms to AC. Quite a lot of pain and a bulge in the groin. The gut could be pushed back reasonably easily with gentle but persistent pressure, best applied while lying down. HOWEVER, hernias must not be left untreated. If they go too far and become strangulated then a trip to A&E and an emergency operation are needed. Routine hernia repair is a day case (even with open surgery). The usual rules apply afterwards - rest and gentle exercise.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Feb 2017 at 12:40

All prostatectomies are radical so I am guessing that your question is about the difference between open and laparoscopic or between laparascopic and da vinci?
The risk is slightly lower for men that have had da vinci / LRP than those who had open RP in one large study - the lowest risk option is peritoneal RP but that seems quite an uncommon operation these days. Most of the members on here that have had IH had LRP but then that isnt so surprising as the majority of recent members opted not to have open surgery.

This is only my observation and purely anecdotal but thinking back over the last 3 or 4 years, our members that have had hernias were often the ones who had keyhole surgery and then perhaps went back to working, driving, golf or whatever very quickly .... perhaps the risk is increased by geing lulled into a false sense of security by the very tiny wounds? Anyone with a big wound across their belly or on their peritoneum is going to be reminded frequently that they have had major surgery?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Feb 2017 at 12:56

Thank you for that information, Lyn.

Yes, you're right, I did mean 'open vs robotic'. I have heard that  incisional hernias are sometimes seen after robot assisted surgery, but couldn't find anything out about the prevalence of inguinal ones. 

User
Posted 12 Feb 2017 at 14:39

I was very careful not to do anything too strenuous after LRP but still had an inguinal hernia about a year and a half afterwards. It is difficult to associate the two - I might have been heading for the hernia anyway. After all, apparently the inguinal canal is a design issue with male anatomy...

Tony

User
Posted 13 Jan 2018 at 21:22
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Might I ask what the symptoms were that made you aware of the hernia?

Bill

User
Posted 14 Jan 2018 at 19:15

Bill, I have had two such hernias. They showed up as a soft bulge through the belly muscle wall. The bit of gut sticking through was easily pushed back until I had the polyester patch repairs done. Now stronger than ever!

AC

User
Posted 14 Jan 2018 at 20:48

Similar symptoms to AC. Quite a lot of pain and a bulge in the groin. The gut could be pushed back reasonably easily with gentle but persistent pressure, best applied while lying down. HOWEVER, hernias must not be left untreated. If they go too far and become strangulated then a trip to A&E and an emergency operation are needed. Routine hernia repair is a day case (even with open surgery). The usual rules apply afterwards - rest and gentle exercise.

Tony