I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New technics for PC searching

User
Posted 13 Feb 2017 at 13:25
I'm wondering why I haven't seen any mention here on the new procedure to find out PC. Maybe because I am new here and still I haven't seen much of it.

My husband is going to have his third biopsy, this time in a different way.

I'm copying a link to this topic in case somebody didn't know about it, although I am sure you do as you are such expert on prostate.

https://radiology.ucsf.edu/patient-care/services/prostate

User
Posted 13 Feb 2017 at 14:41

Hi Lola, the link doesn't work and I am not sure what you mean by a 'new' way of diagnosing PCa - there is no 'new' way. PCa can only be diagnosed by a biopsy. It sounds like your husband has had two normal biopsies which were negative and so this time they are going to try a template biopsy under general anaesthetic?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Feb 2017 at 14:54

Maybe it's not new. I mean he had two previous biopsies. This one will be more" selective". He had a resonancia magnética multiparametrica (I'd better say that in Spanish). This way they know where the suspicious stuff is exactly located . Then take the sample there guided by resonancia.
I'LL try to post a link again, ok?

We don't have it at the city we live, that's why we are driving to Madrid right now.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2017 at 15:00

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4341390/

User
Posted 13 Feb 2017 at 15:06

I am afraid it doesn't work either. I don't know how i1 can share a link
Maybe if you google multiparametral magnetic resonance prostate you will get a link

User
Posted 13 Feb 2017 at 15:41
User
Posted 13 Feb 2017 at 17:20

Lola - if you search for mpMRI you will find other members here that have had that type of imaging recently. But even mpMRI cannot diagnose prostate cancer - it can only give a likelihood that the grey areas imaged are cancer or something more benign. In the UK it can be used after biopsy to give more detailed images of where the tumour is sited to assess what staging to give it, and/or before biopsy to help the urologist decide where to target the biopsy needles.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Feb 2017 at 19:09

Thanks for your report., Lyn.
In this occasion, the biopsy will be after having detected from mpMRI a suspicious tumor as I wrote here yesterday.

I am glad to have found out this site. All of you are so friendly and helpful! It is really being good for me sharing my worries. At this bad moment.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2017 at 20:34

My understanding is there are three types of biopsy:

Transrectal ultrasound (TRUS) guided biopsy uses ultrasound guidance to place needles through the rectal wall into the gland, typically under a local anaesthetic and utilizing 10-12 needles, half from each side of the gland.

Transperineal mapping biopsy (TMB) uses ultrasound to guide needles placed in a rigid grid into the gland through the transperineum (skin between scrotum and anus). It is done under general anesthesia. Samples are taken every 5mm apart, up to 40-60 samples. This biopsy is not commonly done because general anaesthesia requires an operating room facility.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) guided biopsy ( in real time) uses advanced imaging to reveal the tutor location, size and shape so a doctor can guide a minimum number of needles through the rectal wall into the core of the tutor. It is usually done under a local anesthetic. The doctor can “see” and therefore target needles into the tutor.

My husband had the Transperineal mapping biopsy ( although after an MpMRI three days earlier so the surgeon had something to aim at).

In light of what we now know about the availability of a Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) guided biopsy we would have gone for that (if available of course).

As Lyn said above re diagnosing my understanding is the same

"Research shows that today’s 3T multi parametric MRI reveals prostate cancer tumours. However, only laboratory analysis under a microscope can give cellular, even molecular, information about the actual tissue samples"