Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemo added to the mix

User
Posted 14 Feb 2017 at 22:11
Hi All,

I thought I'd give you an update of where we are this week. Saw the consultant at Mount Vernon today for OH's first dose of Prostap so we are now on the HT treadmill. He's come to terms with the fact he's going to be joining me with the hot flushes!!!

Bone scan results were clear, thank god so that was a huge relief!!!! However, Doc informed us today that they have had another look at the MRI and they have possibly found a couple of other suspicious lymph nodes. They are too small to be sure of anything but they are suspicious. For this reason he thinks we should also start a course chemo (docetraxel). He believes that the HT will hopefully work better and give us a better outcome with chemo. I understand this is a relatively new thinking, giving chemo early, but he believes it will hopefully give us a better end result which will be a total cure. This will still be followed by radiotherapy and then brachytherapy.

From what I can gather they are throwing everything at it in the hope of getting It gone as OH is young (54), fit and has no other medical conditions.

If anyone has any advise about avoiding the pitfalls of chemo it will be gratefully received.

Let's hope this does the job. Onwards and upwards xxx

Debbie xxx
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 05:16

Debbie,

If you read my, and in particular, member ColU_FC, most recent posts on our docataxel chemotherapy journey, it may put your mind at rest re Chemo

My experience of docataxel chemotherapy is a most positive one is and in hindsight I wished I had received the chemo prior to the radiotherepy as that may have avoided the meta spread that the chemo is now having to deal with.

Regards

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 07:36

Debbie,

Firstly read this:

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t12167-Surviving-Docetaxel-Chemo#post151949

Then read this:

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t12197-Docetaxel-Chemo---the-highs-and-the-lows#post152202

I'll allow you to skip the bits about beer. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

David

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 14:14
Hi Debbie, my OH had the early chemo, and managed to keep working on the farm, only the last session made him feel ill, for a couple of days, stay positive, and carry on as normal, is how we approached it, and buy a selection of hats! :

Sheila

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 15:40

Well if you are both having the hot flushes together it will definitely be easier. You can both throw the bedcovers off at the same time!!

If you are already at that stage then perhaps you have/are already suffering from the tetchiness that often comes with the hormone changes so just try and be patient with each other.

Whatever is thrown at the cancer it must be great so know that the doctors are looking at cure, so maybe that will help yoiu both cope with the coming months.

Good luck to both of you anyway

Onwards and upwards indeed. Where else is there to go but up the steps towards positivity

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 21:42
Hi Dave, thank you for your encouraging post. It's good to hear you had a positive experience with chemo xx
Debbie xxx
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 21:44
David I can't tell you how useful and encouraging I found your links. Some really good points made here and I will be following some of your advice xx
Debbie xxx
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 21:46
Thanks Sheila, my OH is hoping to continue working as much as possible so this is really encouraging xx
Debbie xxx
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 21:48
Thanks Sheila, my OH is hoping to continue working as much as possible so this is really encouraging xx
Debbie xxx
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 21:50
Thanks for your support Johsan xx
Debbie xxx
User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 09:21

Hi Debbie my OH was diagnosed just over a year ago ,bone scan clear but in lymph nodes .he was offered early chemo as it had just been passed as SOC ,unfortunately Garys had spread to lymph nodes so it was not offered as part of a cure .
The chemo went really well ,Gary working through out only having to take a day off after session 6 but he soon bounced back .
The main part of hair that was lost was body hair and thinning slightly on head ,maybe he was lucky ?? Gary is now on the stampede trial arm j in which he feels a lot more tired but is still working ,another side effect is motivation so we set small and achievable tasks and nothing is really worth the worry as before .
We've also just got good news as a third grandchild is coming later this year so in 14 months we've had c??p news but been blessed with 3 grandchildren
Keep positive especially if a cure is hoped for
All the best
Debby

User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 23:55
Hi Debby, how bizarre, my OH is Gary too!!! Thank you so much for your comments. Am I reading your comment right in that as the pca has spread to your OH's lymph nodes he couldn't be "cured". If so that's not we've been told at all. 2 different consultants have reiterated three times to us that, though there are no guarantees, they were aiming for a cure with my OH!! On one occasion I actually asked him if he was just saying that to make us feel better after all the bad news and he said absolutely not and that if he didn't think he could achieve a cure he would say so!! They have said all along that they couldn't be 100% positive about the lymph node spread but that they thought they were suspicious so maybe that's it. Confused now? Debbie xx
Debbie xxx
User
Posted 17 Feb 2017 at 09:51

There is a difference between lymph nodes close to the prostate being affected and spread to the lymphatic system. If only nodes close to the prostate, they can be removed during the RP surgery or zapped during the RT. Once it is in distant lymph nodes it is incurable.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Feb 2017 at 15:24
Thank you Lyn, that makes sense as my OH's are in the pelvic area. X
Debbie xxx
User
Posted 17 Feb 2017 at 18:47

As to Lynn's comments Garys had spread further to his para aorta nodes and also on the pelvic wall but with the chemo and hormones everything has shrunk and hopefully with the other meds he takes it will hold it back for a good while yet .
Stay positive (easier to say ! )
Debby