Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pacemaker

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 21:27

Hello,

My father has been diagnosed just after xmas (not a good start to the new year!) He's had a gleason score of 7. He was sent for a mri scan, but because he has a pacemaker he can't have it. He has had a normal scan, can anyone give us any advice on this. Not having the mri, we don't know how far advanced it has gone. Thanks

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 21:44

Hello Nellie and welcome to the site.

Do you have your dad's PSA score?

What did his Gleason consist of. Was it 3+4=7 or 4+3=7? Because it may may a little difference to advice given.

I'm sure you'll get other responses but as much information as possible helps

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 01:12

It isn't a deal breaker - they may not have all the images they would usually collect but can make a reasoned assessment of his staging by his biopsy result (each core will give some indication of how close to the edge it has crept or whether it is still well contained), his DRE, his PSA score and if they believe there may be some spread, a different kind of scan.

Scans are not perfect ... my husband's said his prostate was completely clear when in fact it was already in every segment of the gland and had moved into the bladder so it was a good job our surgeon relied on his experience as much as the clever machines!!!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 09:08

Lyn, that is interesting as I too have an implant in my head and doing MRIs is not without issues although my CI centre can do the procedure after taking certain precautions. In the end I had a template biopsy which thankfully came out clear and I would hope that actually taking tissue samples is a more certain (although I realise not 100%!) way of establishing the situation.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 22:32

Thanks to everyone who has replied, my dad's psa is 2 or 3 (can't remember what he said). His gleason was 3 + 4. We are going to the hospital next week, so hopefully we can get more info & onto the next stage.