I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

TWOC after template biopsy

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 16:58

I am not having a lot of success after the biopsy, initially I could pass water but got blocked and went in to A&E. Well, I am now on a catheter with a tap, so as to train my bladder. I still need to use a bag overnight but general walking around seem almost as good as before all this investigation started.

So, I am just asking what the general outcome is for the template procedure please? Did many of you end up in  my situation and is it really possible that it takes 4 weeks for the gland to subside after the needles were inserted? I was assured by the urology nurse that it was not uncommon but then again the different consultants had different opinions regarding the timing of TWOC.

Thanks for any info.

Ian

User
Posted 01 Mar 2017 at 19:03

Just noticed this has zero replies so bumping for Ian

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Mar 2017 at 19:47

So did I, but I'm sure some of the helpful members on here will do.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 08:29

Hi, many thanks for doing this. I did have one PM from Clare which was very helpful and gave me some idea of what to expect, however I am always keen to learn from the experience of others.

Ian

User
Posted 07 Mar 2017 at 07:15
Hi Ian

I didn't have a template biopsy but hopefully someone will respond.

Chris

User
Posted 07 Mar 2017 at 10:16

Hi Ian,

I had PLND (Pelvic Lymph Node Dissection), which is a proper operation, a week in hospital procedure, back in 2008, and with the associated post op infections, I ended up with a catheter for a couple of weeks but made it through TWOC OK 

I had a template biopsy back in November 2014, and didn't have too many problems, but driving myself home to Norfolk the day after was fun, 5 toilet stops in 100 miles!

I then had HDR Brachytherapy in February 2015, which involves reinserting the template etc, I was OK for the first few weeks, but then another infection caused me a bit of grief, so I was on Tamsulosin for 12 months.

But I stopped taking Tamsulosin last July, I can now manage quite well, for example I went with my son-in-law to see Sheffield United play at Peterborough, I had 2 pints of Guinness in the pub pre match, I was then able to stand in the terrace throughout the first half, and then queue for ten minutes at half time waiting to get into the Gents, so I think it is fair to say my continence has made a full recovery?

So long term you should be OK?

:)

Dave

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 07:42

Thanks to all how have responded and an update for those interested. On Monday 6th I went in to urology for my 2nd TWOC and I did pass some liquid but not enough, so in went the catheter again and as usual I needed a endoscopy procedure as my prostrate is very large at 100cc and the uretha has a sharp bend in it apparently. Anyway, this is the 3rd time I have been in AUR situation and I definitely don't want to experience that another time!

So, my next stop is a HoLEP which my hospital have offered. Nervous now but from what I have read this is the latest (more or less anyway) and has good results.

I've looked at the comments on this and it seems to be manageable. I just wish to get this sorted ASAP and am looking into paying if necessary (6k I believe?).