I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Progressive Prostate Cancer

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 19:25
My Dad was recently diagnosed with Progressive Prostate Cancer. I do have a lot of questions and thoughts going around my mind right now. He phoned me this evening and told me. He has been put on an injection called Hormone Therapy. As I understand, it can reduce the cancer cells, but not cure the cancer. Is this right ?

I don't understand why he is not receiving any other treatment, if it is Progressive ?

ThankYou

Alex

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 21:08

Hi,
progressive isn't a word that is usually used in relation to prostate cancer diagnosis so perhaps he misheard or you did? My guess is that they told him it was advanced and they may also have said it was aggressive? It seems that it has spread outside your dad's prostate and there is no cure or other treatment to offer - once it has spread they can't get it all with an operation or radiotherapy and chemo doesn't cure cancer (although for some men it can make the HT work more effectively).

However, don't make the mistake of thinking he is 'only' having hormones.

Hormone therapy is very clever. Actually, prostate cancer is very clever but HT is more so. There are two types of HT. One stops the body from making testosterone and since PCa needs testosterone to survive, the cancer starves. The other type disguises whatever testosterone is still hanging around so that the cancer can't find it. Your dad should very quickly find that the tumours start to shrink and any pain or problems weeing that he might (or might not) have will start to get better. Some men stay well on HT for 10 years or more and we have had members who have done 14 years! Sadly, HT doesn't work for everyone and then there are other things that can be tried to slow it down a bit.

Did dad tell you where the cancer has spread to? That sometimes makes a difference to how well the hormone treatment works.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 23:46
Hi,

ThankYou for you're reply to my message. Both my Dad and myself are overwhelmed with information, it's all so much to take in right now.

Before Christmas he was told his Prostate was enlarged, now the news its cancer. It's a very emotional time, lots of negative thoughts.

ThankYou for you're detailed reply. Hopefully as the days go foreword will learn more and understand better.

Kind Regards

User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 00:14

Have they actually told him it has spread? Sometimes men are put on HT in preparation for radiotherapy, which is curative. Did they mention radiotherapy?

Phone the number at the top of the page tomorrow and order a copy of the toolkit - it will clear the muddy waters.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 00:36

Hi Alex,

Your dad should have a letter from GP / Hosp  detailing his full diagnosis

- in very simple terms everyone is 'coded' to a system.  Have a look here

http://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/just-diagnosed/what-do-my-test-results-mean

If you can post a little about treatment, appointments  so far and approx dates it will assist members to understand and help in their responses.  There are numerous 'weapons' to tackle the cancer at whatever stage it is.     As Lyn states.  do order the toolkit.

The treatment approach and options can vary from geographically area,  etc .   They is no 'standard' solution 'fits all' - that is why this forum is so valuable in my opinion.

Welcome

Gordon

User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 06:21

Good luck !

Edited by member 24 Feb 2017 at 06:23  | Reason: Not specified