Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Going through chemotherapy

User
Posted 25 Feb 2017 at 13:30

Hi There,

My name is Steve and I was diagnosed in November 2016 with metastatic prostate cancer following knowledge that my brother had been on active surveillance for some four years but his had progressed to stage 3a. Whilst I am struggling to understand why he did not tell me earlier, I am finding a strange reluctance amongst men to do this. Anyhow my numbers are that I am stage 3b M1 N1 with Gleason score of 4+5 and a PSA of 64. All quite overwhelming with Christmas approaching. I am a single gay man so found and joined the metro walnut group in Greenwich as well as the South-East Cancer Centre in Purley, both of which I have found helpful.

I am currently going through chemotherapy and am about to start my third cycle. So far, so good. I am interested in what numbers look like for others. My PSA in December was 64 and this came down to 7.9 in early January, then 4.1 before the first chemo and 2 before the second. I await the results of my latest PSA. Other tests indicate that, apart from low white blood cells, all is going well.

I've made some changes to my diet and I am exercising more regularly, albeit fairly light during chemo, and I have cut out alcohol, red meat and a whole host of other things, losing almost 3 stones in weight thus far which the hospital have been ok about as my tests are indicating that I am otherwise healthy.

I do get anxious about how much time I have left but I try to be as positive as I can be.

How do others cope and what advice would you give me?

Steve

User
Posted 25 Feb 2017 at 16:56
Steve,

if you read my profile you will note where I am on this journey.

i have just completed 6 cycles of chemo and am feeling OK.

I have a Pet Scan on 8th March to see how it all went, but I Am positive, particularly as my Psa has come down to 0.3.

As for the future, my Onco is confident I have at least 5 years based on current medicine and in 5 years time medicines will be so far advanced from what they are now. at least that is what he tells me

All this keeps me positive for the future.

Regards

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 25 Feb 2017 at 18:07

dave is correct you will have a long time yet,im t3b 3yrs on im ok chin up.

User
Posted 25 Feb 2017 at 22:37

Hi Steve my OH is a year ahead of you having been diagnosed Dec 15 ,his stats are almost identical to yours PSA slightly lower at 23 .Gary came through chemo relatively unscathed mainly tiredness issues .he worked all the way through just at a slower pace .After about the third session his PSA dropped to 0.001 undetectable and has stayed there since April last year .
Gary is now on the stampede trial arm J which also makes him tired .
We take everyday one at a time but still get anxious when each appointment comes round which at the moment is every 8 weeks . Try and stay positive as I'm sure this helps .
Best wishes
Debby

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Feb 2017 at 16:56
Steve,

if you read my profile you will note where I am on this journey.

i have just completed 6 cycles of chemo and am feeling OK.

I have a Pet Scan on 8th March to see how it all went, but I Am positive, particularly as my Psa has come down to 0.3.

As for the future, my Onco is confident I have at least 5 years based on current medicine and in 5 years time medicines will be so far advanced from what they are now. at least that is what he tells me

All this keeps me positive for the future.

Regards

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 25 Feb 2017 at 16:57

Thanks Dave and good luck with the scan!

Steve

User
Posted 25 Feb 2017 at 18:07

dave is correct you will have a long time yet,im t3b 3yrs on im ok chin up.

User
Posted 25 Feb 2017 at 22:37

Hi Steve my OH is a year ahead of you having been diagnosed Dec 15 ,his stats are almost identical to yours PSA slightly lower at 23 .Gary came through chemo relatively unscathed mainly tiredness issues .he worked all the way through just at a slower pace .After about the third session his PSA dropped to 0.001 undetectable and has stayed there since April last year .
Gary is now on the stampede trial arm J which also makes him tired .
We take everyday one at a time but still get anxious when each appointment comes round which at the moment is every 8 weeks . Try and stay positive as I'm sure this helps .
Best wishes
Debby