I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Which treatment best for my hubby

User
Posted 06 Mar 2017 at 00:26
My husband has recently been diagnosed he has a psa of 6.8 and Gleason score of 7 he has been offered all treatments but we are scared and confused and don't know which one to decide on
User
Posted 06 Mar 2017 at 09:52

It has to be a personal choice Deb. Have you seen the toolkit on the PCUK website under publication. This provides information about all the treatments including potential side effects.
Discuss with the consultant. If it's a male ask him what he would do. If it's a female what would she want for her OH or dad etc

It's a difficult decision but ultimately one you and your husband have to make. The secret is arming yourself with information so at least the decision is informed

Good luck

Bri

Edited by member 06 Mar 2017 at 09:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 08:48
Hi, I to have just been diagnosed with prostate cancer with a psa of 5.8 and Gleason score of 6 I have an appointment next wed to discuss treatments ranging from active monitoring to radiotherapy , looking and looking at all information out there on pros and cons not looking forward to the decision I have to make .
User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 10:37

Hello Granti and welcome

Firstly, please do not panic, although I know you will still worry.

A Gleason of 6 (3+3) is pretty good as far as prostate cancer goes and since you have been offered Active Surveillance (not monitoring I shouldn't think, that's slightly different and affects men with other health issues) and radiotherapy you are considered in the cure camp.

Firstly, go to publications on this website and download the toolkit. There is a wealth of information in there for you to look at and it will help you when it comes to asking questions at your next appointment.

Also make sure you write the questions down and take somebody with you as it helps with taking in information

If you are eligible for AS and RT then I expect that also covers Brachytherapy, a form of RT that involves either permanent seeds left in or a radioactive rod inserted for a short space of time.

Whatever else you do, please do not panic and opt for the first choice offered to you.

It may be that you would prefer to have the cancer out, although you haven't mentioned that as an option.

How old are you by the way and do you have other health issues?

What I would suggest you do now, is copy and paste your original question into your own thread.

There is nothing to stop you doing it here but it may well get lost in the replies to the original poster.

You're in the right place, having joined us.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails