Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

High PSA Test results - PSA,psa raised

User
Posted 07 Mar 2017 at 12:07
Hi

I had a result com back from a PSA test and it was 10.94 ng/ml in early January I had tablets to see if it would reduce

My last result was 7.26 ng/ml and have now been give a course of Ciproflaxacin to see if that helps bring it down

I've had these symptoms on and off since 2006

Obviously I'm concerned about this and also about the possible MRI & TRUS BIospsy

I've read that 7.4 in a biopsy is an average sign of prostrate cancer

Been to my GP and Urology Consultant on numerous occasions and have had no difinative answer to why this has happened

Anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks

Andy

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 07:46

Hi Andy, I have a similar experience, my PSA was 20 so off I went as potential cancer case to urology. They said that with a PSA of 20 it was 50/50 cancer. PSA is not a good indicator, in my case I hace an really large prostrate which is the root cause of the high reading so that could be the case for you perhaps?

Good luck.

Ian

User
Posted 26 Mar 2017 at 15:21

Hi
i am in a similar situation
my psa in july 2016 was 5.2
retest in feb 2017 is now 8.0
following this i have had a untrasound scan to check other bits along with urine flow test
I have an appointment tomorrow 27th with urologist to see the next move which i think is biopsy
When i don't know
will update tomorrow
dave

User
Posted 26 Mar 2017 at 15:27

just an add to that andy
It seems we start off with a 1 in 8 chance of every man developing PCa
below psa 10 they talk of 1 in 4 chance of PCa or put the other way 3 in 4 chance if it not being PCa

above psa 10 this increases to 1 in 2 ie 50/50
so like me you are in the worry stage
good luck
I am keeping my fingers crossed and as my OH says the cup is 3/4 full in my favour at the moment
Dave

User
Posted 27 Mar 2017 at 13:21

taken 10 samples today (5 each side)

waiting results now

User
Posted 27 Mar 2017 at 14:38

Andy

I'm 46 and in October 2016, my PSA was 6.2.  Turned out I had a T3b and Gleason 9.  The main thing is you are getting checked out.  I suppose you have to prepare for bad news and hope for good news.  Not everyone who has a raised PSA has prostate cancer, so work with the medics until they get you an explanation as to why your PSA is as it is.

Ulsterman