I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

prostate artery embolisation (PAE)

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 09:49

Any experience of this from anyone here?

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 16:43

Seems men have been treated in a trial in Portugal so unlikely many if indeed any members of this forum have first hand experience. It was front page news on the Daily Mail today, the gist of which is shown in this link but i would like to see more medically reliable comment. So many 'breakthroughs' reported in the press are premature and/or overoptimistic. https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20170308/281479276209559

Barry
User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 16:55

Thanks Barry, I am investigating this as an alternative to HoLEP. My GP said he would support me if I wanted to get this done. I am at present awaiting an appointment with the HoLEP surgeon, they initially were just going to send me through! I would like a chat first to understand the pros and cons, don't you think that is reasonable? Anyway, I will see what happens.

Thanks.

Ian

User
Posted 09 Mar 2017 at 00:15

In the majority of cases a man has some time to investigate various treatments and potential side effects which makes sense because this may prove life changing. It really goes without saying that a man must be a suitable candidate for his favoured treatment. There is quite a lot of information on the traditional treatments, mainly various forms of RT and surgery but the outcomes of some new forms of treatment are even less known. The motivation for selecting a less well known/proven treatment may be driven by a man being deterred by the oft discussed side effects of traditional treatment and what is thought may prove to be a gentler and or possibly a more effective form of treatment option. Set against this there is the uncertainty of long term outcomes both in terms of eradicating/constraining the cancer and developing side effects which may take years to become apparent in a new form of treatment. One form of treatment may also likely preclude or not go well with a subsequent further form of treatment that may prove to be needed, which is another thing to be considered. It can be a very difficult decision, the more so as the increasing number of options become available which in some cases means going abroad, yet another consideration.

Barry