I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Endorectal coil MRI

User
Posted 11 Mar 2017 at 12:08

I would be interested to hear from anyone has experienced the use of an endorectal coil when the had a prostate MRI e.g. was it comfortable, mildly painful etc? I have just come across this and it wasn't used on me when I had my scan. It is supposed to give better images of areas surrounding the prostate.

Tom

User
Posted 11 Mar 2017 at 15:29

Muy husband has it done and clear images were gotten, but not sure about differences between rectal and other.
As far as discomfort he said it was not that bad
Hope someone more experienced will soon answer to you.
Lola.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2017 at 17:35

Hi Tom,

I had an Endorectal Coil scan at Sutton Branch of The Royal Marsden in 2014 from which it was perceived I had a small tumour in my Prostate. I was then referred to UCLH where I had further scans before having HIFU. I mentioned the Endorectal scan to my consultant at UCLH and he did not rate this type of scan compared to the MRI scans that they did which he said were the best in Europe. So a difference of opinion between two leading hospitals.

As to the experience of the E scan, it was not painful but was a bit like the reverse of excreting a normal sausagelike motion, so when inserted you felt you wanted to pass it out. No great problem for the time involved but you must not try to expel it.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Mar 2017 at 15:29

Muy husband has it done and clear images were gotten, but not sure about differences between rectal and other.
As far as discomfort he said it was not that bad
Hope someone more experienced will soon answer to you.
Lola.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2017 at 17:35

Hi Tom,

I had an Endorectal Coil scan at Sutton Branch of The Royal Marsden in 2014 from which it was perceived I had a small tumour in my Prostate. I was then referred to UCLH where I had further scans before having HIFU. I mentioned the Endorectal scan to my consultant at UCLH and he did not rate this type of scan compared to the MRI scans that they did which he said were the best in Europe. So a difference of opinion between two leading hospitals.

As to the experience of the E scan, it was not painful but was a bit like the reverse of excreting a normal sausagelike motion, so when inserted you felt you wanted to pass it out. No great problem for the time involved but you must not try to expel it.

Barry