I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

And the next step...

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 18:49
PSA result day today 9 months after finishing salvage RT and unfortunately is up to 1.2 so this means joining the HT club. Totally expected this but a little trepidation about SE's.

On another front I developed a bit if a cold last week, had a huge coughing fit and gave myself a hernia. Amazed to have been given date to see consultant next week but even more surprised to be told that surgery will be done under local anaesthetic and total hospital stay of 1 hour.

Very impressed.

Kind regards to all

Kevan

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 19:45

Sorry the salvage RT didn't work out Kevan.

Good luck with the hernia repair

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 19:53

Hi Kevan,

If you look at my post 'EBRT & Salvage HDR Brachytherapy' you will see we were discussing this very point earlier this month.

My own consultant, set me a new target PSA of 0.6 and suggested that I should go back on HT if my next PSA test exceeded that.

However I then had an annual follow up call from the consultant who gave me salvage HDR Brachytherapy.  The call was actually from his assistant, she said that anything under the nadir+2 threshold was absolutely fine, and that she anticipated a PSA in low single figures, perhaps 2, 3 or 4, she was quite alarmed to hear that we were considering HT with a PSA less than 2 and told me to wait until my PSA was in 'double figures'.

Obviously it isn't easy to reconcile two bits of conflicting advice, but there are some useful posts on that string, if you look for it under 'Treatment' you will find it around 3rd March.

:)

Dave  

User
Posted 15 Mar 2017 at 19:34
Sorry to hear your PSA has risen Kevan. Hopefully the HT will hit it hard and bring it back down quickly again.

Best wishes,

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Mar 2017 at 21:47

I don't think that sounds daft at all Kevan - hope all goes well.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Mar 2017 at 08:53
My husband had a hernia repair with Day surgery, a complete success he actually opted for a local anaesthetic ! Not sure about that but he recovered really quickly and coped well .

Hope all goes. Well

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 19:45

Sorry the salvage RT didn't work out Kevan.

Good luck with the hernia repair

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 19:53

Hi Kevan,

If you look at my post 'EBRT & Salvage HDR Brachytherapy' you will see we were discussing this very point earlier this month.

My own consultant, set me a new target PSA of 0.6 and suggested that I should go back on HT if my next PSA test exceeded that.

However I then had an annual follow up call from the consultant who gave me salvage HDR Brachytherapy.  The call was actually from his assistant, she said that anything under the nadir+2 threshold was absolutely fine, and that she anticipated a PSA in low single figures, perhaps 2, 3 or 4, she was quite alarmed to hear that we were considering HT with a PSA less than 2 and told me to wait until my PSA was in 'double figures'.

Obviously it isn't easy to reconcile two bits of conflicting advice, but there are some useful posts on that string, if you look for it under 'Treatment' you will find it around 3rd March.

Dave  

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 20:05

Slightly different scenario DK .... Kevin doesn't have a prostate :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 21:01
Thanks for the good wishes Johsan I am sure the op will be fine and I was expecting the HT so no harm done 😊

Have read your post that you mentioned Dave. We had already discussed possible outcomes before embarking on salvage RT so had already agreed that if the PSA doubling rate was quick then we would dive in with HT. I could have had HT with or prior to the salvage RT but discussing it with the onco I chose to take it one treatment at a time as I think he was a bit curious about how it would pan out and so was I.

Kevan

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 17:44

Hi Lynn,

Well spotted, I am afraid that after a lifetime of jumping to conclusions without bothering to check the facts, it is perhaps too late for me to change my ways, hopefully no harm done?

Best of luck Kevan, HT isn't so bad.

Dave

User
Posted 15 Mar 2017 at 19:34
Sorry to hear your PSA has risen Kevan. Hopefully the HT will hit it hard and bring it back down quickly again.

Best wishes,

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Mar 2017 at 21:29
Thanks Ian and Dave for the encouragement 👍 Have been in touch with the GP today about the date for the first injection and just want to crack on now. I appreciate that it may sound daft but the sooner I start the sooner I know about side effects and then the apprehension disappears.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Kevan

User
Posted 15 Mar 2017 at 21:47

I don't think that sounds daft at all Kevan - hope all goes well.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2017 at 08:53
My husband had a hernia repair with Day surgery, a complete success he actually opted for a local anaesthetic ! Not sure about that but he recovered really quickly and coped well .

Hope all goes. Well

User
Posted 16 Mar 2017 at 14:15
Thanks so much for the feedback about the hernia. I see the consultant next week and the GP seems confident that they will get the op done very soon. Glad your husband has recovered so well from his surgery - can't wait now.

Kind regards to you both

Kevan

User
Posted 23 Mar 2017 at 19:59
Just another update.

Heard from GP 3 days after seeing onco and started Bicalutimide tablets on 17th March. Will have first dose of Prostap on 31st March then every 3 months.

Feel good now things have started so let's see how we get on

Saw surgeon about hernia today and given a date of 13th April for op.

NHS has been so good to me.