Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Long Haul Flights - advice please!

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 02:31

Hello all,

I am hoping to get some advice from others who have done long haul flights with prostate cancer and how you have made yourself more comfortable for the flight.

My 81 year old father is flying to New Zealand so he has two 12 hour flights ahead of him. He will stay with me (his daughter) for a few days in Hong Kong to give himself a break before travelling onwards to NZ.

I have managed to convince him to book a premium economy seat to give him more room but wanting any ideas as to what else could make the journey more comfortable for him.

He has metastasised prostate cancer with metastases present in his hips and spine. 

Thanking you in advance,

Helen

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 10:04

longest flight I have had is to Calgary Canada which is 8 hrs, flown premium economy, just made sure to have the blow up seat and neck cushions, also to make sure to stand up for awhile, and to have all your tablets with you, it may be advisable to inform the plane crew, if he is on a diet check the flight menu

regards

nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 10:15

Hi Helen

My OH (spine and hip mets + others) has just got a coccyx cushion with a section cut out at the back so that there's less pressure on the base of the spine. Suggest that would be better than a blow-up cushion. They are small and portable so shouldn't be a problem to take on the flight.

Cheers

Eleanor

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 12:42

My GP has advised me that my PCa medication leaves me with increased risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis, so I've been advised that on long haul flight I should take additional precautions such as taking an odd aspirin, wearing Flight or Surgical stockings & to get up and walk about when possible.

It worth asking your (his) GP for any advise that might be relevant to his medication.

Graham 00

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 10:04

longest flight I have had is to Calgary Canada which is 8 hrs, flown premium economy, just made sure to have the blow up seat and neck cushions, also to make sure to stand up for awhile, and to have all your tablets with you, it may be advisable to inform the plane crew, if he is on a diet check the flight menu

regards

nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 10:15

Hi Helen

My OH (spine and hip mets + others) has just got a coccyx cushion with a section cut out at the back so that there's less pressure on the base of the spine. Suggest that would be better than a blow-up cushion. They are small and portable so shouldn't be a problem to take on the flight.

Cheers

Eleanor

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 12:42

My GP has advised me that my PCa medication leaves me with increased risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis, so I've been advised that on long haul flight I should take additional precautions such as taking an odd aspirin, wearing Flight or Surgical stockings & to get up and walk about when possible.

It worth asking your (his) GP for any advise that might be relevant to his medication.

Graham 00

User
Posted 04 Jul 2017 at 19:54

Peggy, it is best to keep your information on your thread rather than post the same question on lots of different ones. Then all the replies are in the same place and you don't take the conversation away from the person who wrote this one.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard