I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

worry

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 19:06
My husband's prostrate cancer has come back after having his prostrate removed only 6 months ago. He is only 64. Tomorrow we have an appointment with an oncologist and I am worried about what he is going to say. Because he had stage 3 cancer when he was first diagnosed and his cancer has come back does this mean he now has stage 4 cancer?
User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 19:36

Hi Pat

Can you provide more detail e.g. PSA scores before and after his op. What did the histology report say. How do you know the cancer has come back?

If you read my profile you will see I saw an oncologist not long after my operation. I had follow up RT and 3.5 years on my PSA is 0.02.

So it doesnt mean it's progressed to grade 4. It may just mean there are a few stray cells in the prostate bed that need dealing with.

See what the oncologist says

Bri

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 20:33

Hi, I'm Spanish too, leaning on the shoulder of these nice British people.
We're starting the journey with PC so I can't help you at this moment, but I'm sure you will soon get some reply and support on here.
Un abrazo,
Lola.

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 21:27
When you say your husband's cancer has come back I am assuming that he has had a PSA test and the reading is higher than 0.1 and therefore not classed as undetectable. I am no expert in all of this and only have my own experience to go by but as you are worried about what the oncologist might have to say I will try to give you some reassurance.

If the PSA was not undetectable following the op it means that there are still some cells left. They could be in the prostate bed or elsewhere and so the onco needs to explain this and what the options are for further treatment. They might suggest having more PSA tests to see if the number rises and how quickly as this can give a guide as to where the remaining cells are. They may suggest starting hormone therapy which can weaken or kill off cells wherever they might be or they might suggest radiotherapy if they feel that the cells are in the prostate bed as RT needs to be focused.

They might suggest HT and RT.

There are many combinations to consider but it is still early days yet and nothing to panic about.

I think the important thing is to get the onco to explain the situation clearly so that you feel comfortable that you know what is going on. Once you understand where you are I am certain that you will feel more comfortable with discussing the next steps.

All the best to you both.

Kevan

User
Posted 15 Mar 2017 at 20:06
It is a big bow to go through the surgery and the PSA starts to rise.

I can let you know what is happening to me, it might g e you an idea of what to expect.

I had my prostate removed end of July 2015, pre op PSA 8, Gleason 3+4, MRI showed tumour from centre of prostate crossing to the edge of the capsule. my post op histology showed the cancer had broken through the capsule and that I also had Intraductal cancer in addition to the original tumour. The margins were negative. PSA dropped to <0.1 until 1st September 2016 PSA came back at 0.3, rising to 0.7 by 24/11/16. MRI showed a tumour on the prostate bed where the tumour had broken through. I saw an oncologist 11/11/16. He was very honest and told me that the cancer had reappeared very quickly, the PSA was doubling very quickly, there was a risk I had micro metastasis and that these were poor indicators. He also told me there were lots of options available. He sent me for a PET/CT scan to check for metastasis but warned me a negative result may be a false negative. The scan showed a second tumour at a seminal vesicle but no evidence of metastasis. I started HT straight after the PET scan. I had a meeting again in Janary where I was told that HT alone was his recommendation as attempting radiotherapy on the seminal vesicle would involve hitting too much bowel causing severe side effects. I queried this and a second opinion suggested having a radiotherapy planning scan with full bladder and empty rectum. The scan would be reviewed to see if a full bladder moved bowel out the way to give radiation a path through. I await discussion on this.

The HT had reduced my PSA to 0.1 in one month so is doing something.

My wife and I have been through a roller coaster of emotions, information overload, exhaustion etc. I tell you all of this not to cause fear or alarm but to help you understand what to expect next. If I get radiotherapy I have been told it has around a 40% chance of curing me but even f it doesn't it slows things down.

It has been very difficult to deal with but you will get support. Use prostate cancer uk, MacMillan and Maggie's they are all wonderful. Best wishes to you and your husband, Ian.

Ido4