I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RARP today

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 09:01
Sitting on the hospital bed, I'm due to go to theatre at lunchtime for my RARP. My journey started back in September last year, and once I received the diagnosis I took the time to become better informed, think about my choice, and take a holiday. And today is the day.

I have found this site and its members a fantastic resource, offering great support. Both men and women members are so open about very intimate details, and that is what makes it so speciall, speaking to people who are going or have gone through the same journey. So a big thank you!

Chris

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 09:31

Hope all goes well Chris and you are back home in your own bed before you can blink

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 09:33
Hi Chris,

Two years ago next week I was where you are now. Wishing you all the best for today.

Paul

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 10:26
Chris

Don't get constipation and no straining to pass that first post op motion. Take it easy, no marathons but keep Mobil. All the best.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 17 Mar 2017 at 10:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 10:56

Good luck with the op. Don't be alarmed by the amount of blood in your catheter bag. It will be quite red for a number of days and is quite normal.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 11:11

Good luck!

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 11:13

I had my OP 29th Sept 2016, try to keep mobile but do take it easy and be patient, and do not strain when you need to pass a motion, they fill you with gas which can be very uncomfortable but a few good farts usually gets rid of it my first one came in the afternoon when there were visitors,
best wishes
Paul

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 11:41

Looks like you've done your homework and are well informed. Probably better informed than I was/am.  I had my RARP just 7 weeks back.  In terns of what to expect, during the whole process, I have been told "everybody is different" which may be true but not very helpful but I think I am doing as well as I expected (played 9 holes two days ago, first golf since my op).  Your age and scores suggests to me that you have a better chance than most (including me) of speedy recovery.  I would be interested to know how you progress.  Best wishes. 

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 11:58

Good luck Chris
Quite scary to start with and adjustments to make but you will be fine. I'm 21 months post op and more or less back to normal in all ways.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 12:26

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Chris. Hope it all went well for you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 12:55

Hi Chris
All my best wishes, hope it all goes super smoothly. There will no doubt be some odd things happen afterwards, always ask everyone for more info. Mine was eight weeks ago, it has been an interesting time (!) and recovery is very much underway. I look forward to your next post, from the comfort of a cosy chair!

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 17:29
Thanks everyone for well wishes and tips. All went ok, sitting back in bed eating egg sandwich and drinking a tea.

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 09:31

Hope all goes well Chris and you are back home in your own bed before you can blink

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 09:33
Hi Chris,

Two years ago next week I was where you are now. Wishing you all the best for today.

Paul

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 10:26
Chris

Don't get constipation and no straining to pass that first post op motion. Take it easy, no marathons but keep Mobil. All the best.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 17 Mar 2017 at 10:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 10:56

Good luck with the op. Don't be alarmed by the amount of blood in your catheter bag. It will be quite red for a number of days and is quite normal.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 11:11

Good luck!

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 11:13

I had my OP 29th Sept 2016, try to keep mobile but do take it easy and be patient, and do not strain when you need to pass a motion, they fill you with gas which can be very uncomfortable but a few good farts usually gets rid of it my first one came in the afternoon when there were visitors,
best wishes
Paul

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 11:41

Looks like you've done your homework and are well informed. Probably better informed than I was/am.  I had my RARP just 7 weeks back.  In terns of what to expect, during the whole process, I have been told "everybody is different" which may be true but not very helpful but I think I am doing as well as I expected (played 9 holes two days ago, first golf since my op).  Your age and scores suggests to me that you have a better chance than most (including me) of speedy recovery.  I would be interested to know how you progress.  Best wishes. 

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 11:58

Good luck Chris
Quite scary to start with and adjustments to make but you will be fine. I'm 21 months post op and more or less back to normal in all ways.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 12:26

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Chris. Hope it all went well for you

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 12:55

Hi Chris
All my best wishes, hope it all goes super smoothly. There will no doubt be some odd things happen afterwards, always ask everyone for more info. Mine was eight weeks ago, it has been an interesting time (!) and recovery is very much underway. I look forward to your next post, from the comfort of a cosy chair!

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 17:29
Thanks everyone for well wishes and tips. All went ok, sitting back in bed eating egg sandwich and drinking a tea.

Chris

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 17:43

That's great, ChriS, so glad to read you after op.
I wish you a smooth recovery!.

Lola

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 17:44

Well done that man !!

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 18:43

Thoughts with you for a speedy recovery Chris.. so pleased it went well.

Clare

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 19:20
Best of luck brother.

Bazza (fellow RALP)

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 19:21
Very pleased that you are through the op and feeling good. Just be kind to your body and give it time to heal properly.

Kevan

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 19:56
Egg sandwich and tea brilliant news .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 18 Mar 2017 at 09:04

Good morning
Hope you're feeling comfortable today (and hitting the morphine button!). Welcome to a new world, it is interesting to say the least. looking forward to reading your next post...
cheers
G

User
Posted 19 Mar 2017 at 16:59

Hi Chris
Hope you recover well like I did . The catheter is all part of the process and don't be alarmed by blood in your urine and a bit of leaking from the end of your Gentleman's Sausage and try to keep that area clean . Your holes should heal up nicely mine were just glued and I'm fat !! .
I was lucky that I only had pain relief for two days and that was only basic stuff .
I did a feel like a mild hangover for about three days which I suppose was the anaesthetic wearing off .
All the best you're in good company