Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormones plus RT - my treatment report

User
Posted 24 Mar 2017 at 15:57

Greetings to all,

I was diagnosed in August 2016 and opted for the hormones plus radiotherapy route rather than surgery, for T2A localised cancer. I'm writing now to report how this route is working out, which might be helpful to those newly diagnosed and facing a similar choice.

I have had seven  hormone injections, monthly, and also hormone tablets, both back in September and also since mid-January, still continuing. My radiation treatment (Xrays) has started , I have had five of the 20 sessions. I have had hardly any ill effects over these 7 months, and I still feel OK after the radiation so far. For me, this route was easily preferred over surgery and I have no cause to regret my choice. The doctors tell me that this localised cancer is curable with this treatment.

During the hormone treatment I suffered hardly any side effets, no sore breasts, no weight gain, just some hot flushes and a bit of depression and poor sleep. Mainly due to the waiting, I think. My Xray treatment sessions are only a Tube ride away, at the Royal Marsden, South Kensington. I arrive 90 minutes early, to use an enema and to empty and refill my bladder, so the biggest challenge is holding on as my bladder fills for an hour or so. The treatment itself takes only 15 minutes.

When I was diagnosed, my PSA was 12 . It fell rapidly to 5.7 in October and 1.6 in December, but then edged up to 2.0 in January, which had me worried. But then by mid Feb it had decreased to 0.6, which was below the hospital's threshold for starting with the Xrays. So my schedule could go ahead in March. I have had four gold seed markers injected into the gland to enable the death rays to be better aimed.

I know I may suffer side effects after the end of this treatment, but for anyone contemplating their treatment options I would definitely recommend this route as being virtually trouble free, just rather long drawn out.

Best regards

Paul

User
Posted 24 Mar 2017 at 19:10

Thanks for posting the update Paul. I'm sure it will be very helpful for anyone wondering which path to take.

Good luck with the rest of the treatment. I hope it's trouble free and the effects are long lasting.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 24 Mar 2017 at 20:34

Great update. The January slight rise may just have been down to a rogue injection? Stay well :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard