I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rise on Abi !What next ?

User
Posted 26 Mar 2017 at 12:49
Been on Abiritone since February 2016 worked fine at first reducing PSA to 0.6 from 7.9. But now PSA has risen to 10.6. A recent visit to Onco suggested that I should continue as long as I feel pain free and good in myself,which I do. He did say that if Abi did not work there is no more alternatives apart from trials. This unnerves me as it contradicts what I was told at the beginning -that there were always other treatments available. I have been through HRT,Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy all successful in reducing PSA levels in their own way, but it makes me worry I have been there before. Any one with similar experiences that can give me some feedback would be very helpful.
Alan
User
Posted 26 Mar 2017 at 20:46

Hi Aldee, not sure there is anything else once your abi fails but to go back where you have been - some find that HT is effective a second time after abi & chemo. Radium 233 is a possibility if you have bone mets? Adding a steroid might also be possible.

PSA of 10.6 does not mean you are in imminent danger though - look at Eleanor's thread where the PSA has gone much higher before her OH has really started to struggle, and at Trevor_Boothe who is I think up in the thousands now but still managing to survive.

They say that once you are advanced, the PSA is a much less reliable indicator than how you actually feel.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 Mar 2017 at 21:57
Hi Aldee,
Our onco has advised the same so as long as pain is under control and Trevor is feeling ok we stay on Abbiraterone. Trevor has know been on it since Sept 15 and yes we have had quite big rises in PSA but from where we started it has been a drop in the ocean.
We are pretty much at the end of treatment options so while things are holding fairly steady our onc is reluctant to stop Abbi .
Trevor also started Raduim 223 in Dec 16 in conjunction with Abbi and things are holding good for know. He is also on steroids as well.
He had to stop Zometa due to a rare side affect affecting his jaw and then experienced a spike in pain he is know on slow release morphine and things are back under control.
He has been outside today digging and helping with gardening so keep your chin up .
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Mar 2017 at 20:46

Hi Aldee, not sure there is anything else once your abi fails but to go back where you have been - some find that HT is effective a second time after abi & chemo. Radium 233 is a possibility if you have bone mets? Adding a steroid might also be possible.

PSA of 10.6 does not mean you are in imminent danger though - look at Eleanor's thread where the PSA has gone much higher before her OH has really started to struggle, and at Trevor_Boothe who is I think up in the thousands now but still managing to survive.

They say that once you are advanced, the PSA is a much less reliable indicator than how you actually feel.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 Mar 2017 at 21:57
Hi Aldee,
Our onco has advised the same so as long as pain is under control and Trevor is feeling ok we stay on Abbiraterone. Trevor has know been on it since Sept 15 and yes we have had quite big rises in PSA but from where we started it has been a drop in the ocean.
We are pretty much at the end of treatment options so while things are holding fairly steady our onc is reluctant to stop Abbi .
Trevor also started Raduim 223 in Dec 16 in conjunction with Abbi and things are holding good for know. He is also on steroids as well.
He had to stop Zometa due to a rare side affect affecting his jaw and then experienced a spike in pain he is know on slow release morphine and things are back under control.
He has been outside today digging and helping with gardening so keep your chin up .
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON