I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Adjusting to losing my Dad

User
Posted 01 Apr 2017 at 17:18

Hi, My Dad had been unwell for some years, had many tests including his psa which always returned as normal. He then went on to have a major surgery for a flipped hiatus hernia , which very soon after he was back fit and well. Six months after he started to feel unwell again similar symptoms to his hiatus, so we went back to the doctors and then to the hospital. He then had an MRI scan where spots were found on his liver. After further investigation they realised this was secondary cancer caused from the prostate( he had regular bloods for psa which came back normal) .I lost my dad 18 months later. I urge every man of a certain age not to rely on blood tests but to have an internal diagnosis because if my dad had had this 3 years ago he may still be here enjoying life .xxxx 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2017 at 19:06

Sorry for your loss and thankyou for sharing
Best wishes Debby

User
Posted 01 Apr 2017 at 22:00

Many condolences to you. Really good if you to share. Thank you.

Clare

User
Posted 01 Apr 2017 at 22:59
Kazzad

So sad to read. May your memories of your dad make you stronger each day.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 02 Apr 2017 at 01:50

Kazzad

My condolences on your loss.

Thank you for also drawing attention to the fact that the PSA test of itself can show false negatives (as well as as positives). A DRE should be done also, although it too sometimes does not always feel abnormal. The PCA3 is another test that can help show likely cancer but it is comparatively expensive and again of itself not a sufficiently strong indicator. What is needed is a simple, relatively inexpensive test that would be far more reliable so men could them go on to MRI/Biopsy if cancer strongly suspected. Efforts are being made to find such a test but one has not yet been introduced even if one or more possibilities is being trialed.

As it stands at present, with a normal PSA and non suspicious DRE, it is unlikely that a man will automatically have further tests unless or until he exhibits symptoms indicative of cancer. Sadly, in your Dad's case PSA (and DRE if done) did not indicate further investigations should have been done earlier and that by the time he was diagnosed his cancer had already advanced.

Barry
User
Posted 02 Apr 2017 at 09:19

So sorry for your loss Kazzad.

I know from personal experience that eventually time will ease your pain but it will always be with you to some extent.

You have used your pain to share your story with us and to warn others not to be complacent. That was a hard thing to do and I thank you for the warning.

Best wishes

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Apr 2017 at 12:46

So sorry for your loss, Kazzad. Hope you'll soon recover of your sorrow. Big hug. And thanks for sharing your story and giving advice to men about caring their prostate.

Best wishes.

Lola

User
Posted 02 Apr 2017 at 21:22

So sorry to hear this sad news Kazzad, Please visit the site now and again as I'm sure you will get lots of emotional support from these fab members on here
Take care
Viv
X

The only time you should look back is to see how far you have come