I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Confused about my Dad's diagnosis and what it means

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 14:53
Hello, my Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer quite some years ago and luckily got rid of it last June, however sadly today he has been to the hospital and they've informed him that cancer has returned but in his pelvis. I've been looking online about it but I don't know wether this means that it is deemed as a new form of cancer or a more advanced stage of his prostate, and if this means he can be treated for it or if there is/isn't a cure? I've talked to my dad about it but I don't think he took too much of the details in at the hospital as he was in shock and I want to distress him too much more

Thank you for any help

Marie
User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 20:07

Marie, when you say he got rid of it last June, what do you mean? You don't usually get rid of prostate cancer years after treatment. What treatment did he have when?

If it is in the bones of his pelvis then it is incurable although hormone treatments can control it for quite a long time, sometimes for years. If they said some cells have been left in the pelvic area then he may be able to have additional treatment in the hope of getting rid.

I see you are very young so how old is dad?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard