I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Irun is off to the Sahara again

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 15:57
Hi all, a bit of a self indulgent post here but one to give everyone hope and belief that even T4N1M1a does not mean tha life has to end immediately.

Tomorrow I fly out to the Sahara to compete for the second year running in the most famous ultra marathon in the world, The Marathon Des Sables, 257 kilometres over 7 days carrying everything on my back apart from water. I have trained as well as I can, my meds side effects have caused a few more challenges this year but that just adds to the sense of achievement. 29 months ago when my onco said I may only live for 2 years I never believed I would even be here let alone running in this crazy race. It ain't over until you hear the fat lady sing and I have unplugged the speakers for now!

Whilst I know that this disease will have added to manys financial hardship if you feel able to please visit my just giving page JustGiving.com/fundraising/Kevin-webber5 because the money will help make prostate cancer a thing of the past so my children will never have to tell their kids like I did that they have incureable prostate cancer. If nothing else it wil help keep this site going and lets face it we all use it or you wouldn't be reading this! Since my diagnosis I have now raised over Β£63,000 for this fantastic charity and I intend doing as much as I can until the end.

If you want to track my running each day (Sunday to Friday but not Thursday) 8-00am to 4-00pm approx or send me emails of abuse or encouragement then visit live.marathondessables.com/waatracking/en-us/MDS/mds2017 when the site goes live this Saturday. You can watch my dot move across the Sahara and may even get a glimpse of me at the finish on the live webcam each day, I will be the one with a prostate cancer uk flag poking out the back of my rucksack doing my worst impression of Dad dancing just for you! You will need my number which is 1041 to track me.

Thanks for reading, never give up!

Kevla

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 17 Apr 2017 at 21:56
Hi All, sorry that you had trouble finding me out there. Well I finished the race on Saturday, it was unsurprisingly hot and sandy, the jebels ( mountains to u n I) were high and all too frequent. So many inspiring people out there pushing themselves including the previously mentioned Duncan who I spent plenty if time chatting to, so pleased for him that he finished it all this year. Many able bodied, illness free people dropped out along the way and I still managed to beat half the field despite being a T4 52 year old. I believed ,I raised a lot of awareness, a bit more cash and inspired many others to chase their dreams no matter what. I have a few more big events planned for this year and then even bigger ones for next ( which will include going back to the Sahara again) , no idea if PCa will let me do them but that won't stop me dreaming whilst getting closer to them all.

Fat lady still aint singing here.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 20:02

Brilliant, amazing guy - good luck x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 20:07
Go Kevin go!!

Good luck,

Arthur

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 20:42

Good luck Kevin. My best mate's son-in-law Duncan Slater is having a second go this year and wants to complete it this time around. Great chap and very inspiring. Double amputee after being blown up in Afghanistan. Respect to you both.

Roger
User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 20:54
I met Duncan last year a few times before he was forced to retire on day 4, that man is such a brave guy and has huge mental stregth. I also met him in February on a warm up race where he experienced "gear failure" in one if his legs. I really hope he smashes the race this time as he deserves to.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 20:02

Brilliant, amazing guy - good luck x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 20:07
Go Kevin go!!

Good luck,

Arthur

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 20:42

Good luck Kevin. My best mate's son-in-law Duncan Slater is having a second go this year and wants to complete it this time around. Great chap and very inspiring. Double amputee after being blown up in Afghanistan. Respect to you both.

Roger
User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 20:54
I met Duncan last year a few times before he was forced to retire on day 4, that man is such a brave guy and has huge mental stregth. I also met him in February on a warm up race where he experienced "gear failure" in one if his legs. I really hope he smashes the race this time as he deserves to.

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 21:27

You are just an inspiration to us all ,good luck and look forward to any updates .
Best wishes
Debby

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 21:54

Wow, just wow. What an inspiration.
All the luck in the world.
Julie

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 22:01
Fantastic post that actually brought tears to my eyes , you are such an inspiration words fail me and that doesn't happen very often . If I wore a hat then I would take it of for you.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 22:25

amazing - I am lost for words

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 23:11

A PB, and a pint at the end.

:-)

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 00:27

AW-blooming-SOME! You are amazing.

E

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 08:42

Quite taken my breath away and I'm Lost for words and believe me that doesn't happen often.

Good luck Kevin. Whether you complete the run or not I'm positive that you will have given 100%

Best Wishes

Johsan

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 23:11

Good luck Kev. Will be following your journey. What an inspiration for your kids! x

User
Posted 09 Apr 2017 at 18:18

Wow what an inspiration you are !! Even to those not living with Prostate cancer !! Hope you make some fab memories to share with us on your return πŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸƒπŸ½πŸ‘ŠπŸΌπŸ’ͺ🏽

The only time you should look back is to see how far you have come
User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 10:36

Has anyone heard or read anything about Kev's progress.

I've looked at the website and although I can find his details it shows he's only done a few kilometres but I may be reading it wrong.

I saw on last night's ITV news that my friends son-in-law Duncan Slater (the double amputee) completed the course and would hope Kevin isn't far behind him, that's assuming he hasn't already finished and I'm just not able to find that out on the website.

Respect to them all.

Edited by member 15 Apr 2017 at 10:38  | Reason: Not specified

Roger
User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 11:13

I had a look this morning Roger but couldn't find it either

User
Posted 16 Apr 2017 at 15:57

Is anyone able to work out the MDS site?

I have looked several times but have no idea where Kevin might be.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2017 at 21:56
Hi All, sorry that you had trouble finding me out there. Well I finished the race on Saturday, it was unsurprisingly hot and sandy, the jebels ( mountains to u n I) were high and all too frequent. So many inspiring people out there pushing themselves including the previously mentioned Duncan who I spent plenty if time chatting to, so pleased for him that he finished it all this year. Many able bodied, illness free people dropped out along the way and I still managed to beat half the field despite being a T4 52 year old. I believed ,I raised a lot of awareness, a bit more cash and inspired many others to chase their dreams no matter what. I have a few more big events planned for this year and then even bigger ones for next ( which will include going back to the Sahara again) , no idea if PCa will let me do them but that won't stop me dreaming whilst getting closer to them all.

Fat lady still aint singing here.

Kev

User
Posted 17 Apr 2017 at 22:13
Fantastic Kevin,

Well done seems inadequate but it's a most amazing achievement

Congratulations for doing this not only raising money for PCUK but for the encouragement you give to others

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 17 Apr 2017 at 22:15

Fantastic!!! Well done, keep strong and continue to realize your dreams.

Barry
User
Posted 17 Apr 2017 at 22:23

Well done Kevin.

Roger
User
Posted 17 Apr 2017 at 22:27

Absolutely amazing. What a bloke! Well done Kevin.

E

User
Posted 17 Apr 2017 at 22:53
Kevin you are Fandobidozie there is no other word to use .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 18 Apr 2017 at 03:40
Kev,

An outstanding achievement, yet again.

Thank you for the inspiration you give to others (and me!) showing that anything you want to do is possible if you want it enough and never give up.

Good luck in your next challenge.

Steve

User
Posted 18 Apr 2017 at 06:47

Great achievement mate. Keep inspiring, you do it well πŸ‘πŸ‘

Bri

User
Posted 18 Apr 2017 at 07:04

Amazing! So glad to see a member of this site achieving his dreams.

Well done.

Lola.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2017 at 07:23

Well done.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2017 at 07:34

Well done and keep planning !
Best wishes
Debby

User
Posted 18 Apr 2017 at 08:13

Many congratulations Kev.

So pleased that you fulfilled your dream but what an effort.