Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad has passed - death and dying,End of life / Dying

User
Posted 10 Apr 2017 at 22:14

Hello everyone.

I've only been posting on here since November 2016, when my dad was first diagnosed with Stage IV prostate cancer. 

He passed away in hospital this Saturday, 8th April, from a chest infection caused by a secondary lung tumour. His final hours were genuinely peaceful, painless and dignified; and he was surrounded by family. He had spent the previous couple of months immobile because of MSCC, and so in many ways his death was a release, from pain and frustration.

Dad's case was unusually aggressive, and his oncologist noted that he hadn't seen anything as quick or severe in over a decade of practice. He was a Gleason 9, with a complex series of metastases, and in many respects his case was a medical outlier.

We are incredibly grateful to all of the doctors, nurses and hospital staff in various London hospitals, who were above and beyond professional in their humane and compassionate care.

I was sitting with dad at the end, heard his final words and saw him take his last breath. In those 24 hours I realised that death is nothing to fear; and I believe dad realised that as well.

Thank you to everyone on this forum who has posted with support and information over the last few months.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 08:48

Sorry to read of your loss, but it is good that it was a peaceful passing, you can all take comfort in that.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 08:55
I am sorry to hear that your Dad has passed away but I am pleased that you were able to be there with him. It is such a beautiful morning and reading such a calm, dignified and loving post was quietly moving. Thank you for sharing this at such a difficult time. My sincere condolences to you and your family.
User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 10:01

Dear Whiskers,

Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your dad.

I am so glad that his passing was peaceful and dignified and that you were able to be with him at the end. It does make such a difference to our ongoing memories.

Thank you for sharing the news with us. Now it's time to take stock of your own health. I wish you all the best for the future

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 10:22

Dear Whiskers I'm so sorry and thank you for sharing that moment with us all. Sending you strength x

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 11:30

Whiskers, I'm so sorry to read that your dad passed away.

At the same time I'm glad to know he was surrounded by his family and his suffering stoped.

Please accept my condolences.

The best for you and your family.

Lola

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 11:47
Whiskers

Sorry to hear of your loss, please accept my sincere condolences.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 13:13
So very sorry to hear your Dad has passed away. Please accept my deepest sympathy.

Debbie x

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 13:14
So very sorry to hear your Dad has passed away. Please accept my deepest sympathy.

Debbie x

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 13:14

Debbie x

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 16:00

I'm very sorry for your loss Whiskers. You did everything you could to support your dad and I'm pleased you were able to spend some peaceful time with him at the end. Take care of yourself x

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 17:55

My sincere condolences Whiskers - and many thanks for posting about your experience. The possibility of a calm and pain-free ending is a real comfort to me, and doubtless to others on this site. So glad that you and your Dad and family had that and that you were able to be with him.

Eleanor

x

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 20:42

So very sorry to read this sad news whiskers, Please take care of yourself in the weeks and months to come
Viv x
🙏🏼

The only time you should look back is to see how far you have come
User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 22:11

Whiskers, so very sorry for your loss, a very difficult time for you, keep strong

Patrick

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 23:06
Dear Whiskers

My thoughts are with you and your loved ones at this sad time. A very dignified and moving post.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 23:29

Dear Whiskers,

Sorry you have lost your Dad. Your post put it very well but it's still hard to come to terms with your loss. My sincere condolences.

Barry
User
Posted 12 Apr 2017 at 20:45
So sorry to read this whiskers my heart and thoughts go out to you and your family , stay as strong as you can . x

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 12 Apr 2017 at 20:52

So sorry to hear your news but glad that your Dad had you by his side and compassionate care.