I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostap injection advice

User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 21:57
Hello everyone I'm just after a bit of advice. My dad has advanced prostate CA and has received early treatment with docetaxel. Now only treatment is his 12 weekly prostap injection. However, looking at his appointments there seems to be inconsistencies with time frames and he is receiving them longer than 12 weeks apart (more like 14 weeks). Should we be concerned and is it imperative to ensure 12 weeks between injections. Concerned if life span of injection is 12 weeks if 14 weeks apart he is going 2 weeks with no protection. Hope this makes sense. Any advice is appreciated.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2017 at 05:31

I'm on Zoladex which is similar to Prostap. I have a 12 weekly injection. My GP's practice get very antsy if I don't have it exactly every 12 weeks. The only time they've relented is when the 12 week date arrives on a bank holiday.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2017 at 08:49

Hi my OH is on prostap and hes are excactly 12 weeks apart ,maybe your surgery is working on calendar month dates rather than weekly ,I would maybe challenge it and get it changed .
Best wishes
Debby

User
Posted 14 Apr 2017 at 09:32

My surgery are a bit inexact about dates. However at the beginning of my treatment, I drew up a 12 week schedule and stick to that.

When they dither about dates, I just say that I have build my plans (holidays and so on) around that schedule and I don't want it to alter, especially as a minor change now might result in greater 'slippage' further along.

Dave

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 14 Apr 2017 at 09:49
It is important to have regular twelve weekly injection, my husband is on that regime and I mark his calendar with the intervals plus I put a reminder two weeks ahead to book the appointments. His gp surgery is really good ensuring that he gets exactly twelve weekly injections even if it means that he goes in before the surgery opening times so they realise that the intervals are important
User
Posted 14 Apr 2017 at 12:07

I have had prostap for over five years. The senior nurse at the GPS gives me the injection and then we work out the 12 week date and I book it as soon as the surgery allows. Nearly always exact on date unless something intervenes which would then be a few days difference only. I am sure your surgery should help you achieve this.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2017 at 12:49
I was having Prostap injections every 12 weeks, when I had my injection one of the practice nurses at my GPs surgery would count off 12 weeks on the calendar for the next one. Another nurse would just count 3 months from the date so it was i.e. 12th May then 12th August - once they tried to book me in on Boxing Day using this method until I pointed out to them what day it was and they'd probably be shut!
User
Posted 14 Apr 2017 at 14:17
Thank you everybody for your responses. Very much appreciated I will discuss with him and see what we can get sorted with his GP in way of a 12 weekly time table. Thanks again and all the very best to everyone
User
Posted 19 Apr 2017 at 10:42

Sorry, I think some of the responses above have assumed prostap and zoladex are given the same way but they aren't. Prostap is given monthly or 3 monthly by calendar month which will sometimes mean a gap of 13 weeks rather than 12. It can also cope with a little bit of flex for weekends and bank holidays. Zoladex is different ... it works on 28 day / 84 day blocks and must not be given late.

Edited by member 10 Nov 2017 at 23:48  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Apr 2017 at 11:04

Hmmm Lyn
Like most other folk here my GP nurse insists on 12 weekly Prostap injections.
If I'm away then I get a pre filled syringe and maintain the 12 week periods.
She checks I've maintained the injection period when I next go. Into the surgery.
It seems the practice is 12 weekly even though sounds like it could be varied a bit.

Paul

Edited by member 19 Apr 2017 at 11:05  | Reason: Not specified