I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

low psa but can you still have cancer

User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 08:52

I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer in feb 2015 I am 63 yrs of age I had been moaning about my Bladder problems for a few yrs before any way to cut along story short they finally decided to reduce my prostrate size they sent the usual tissues for testing and it came back positive prostrate cancer with a Gleason score 4+3 the thing is my PSA levels are only 02 and this is what they still are today it seems they don't know what to do with me they cannot give me a scan because of my 2 replacement Hips I had a cystcopy also in 2015 they told my bladder has almost closed but they forgot to mention if this was the cancer causing it or something else ?? My GP seems to think its the cancer but It seems I have been put on the back burner I have had operation on my bladder cancelled 5 times shortage of beds young Drs strike etc etc I have now begun to think maybe I have not got prostrate cancer because my PSA levels are so low the last time I saw my consultant was 6 months ago and to be quiet honest he did no seem to no what to do. As any one else been in a similar situation or as anyone got any advice and should I tell my family, I don't see why they should worry. Thank you Terry

User
Posted 17 Apr 2017 at 12:21

Hello Terry,

I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances. You definitely need a second opinion!

My PSA was 0.9, yet my prostate was nearly full of cancer, and had spread to my seminal vesicles. My Gleason was 3+4. I was also diagnosed at July 2015, after a delay of 5 months! It appears some urology departments see a low PSA and will put a patient on the back burner.

Frank.

User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 10:00

Hello Terry and welcome to the site.

Yes it is possible to have a low PSA and Prostate cancer I believe, although 02 does seem very low to me.

I know we have a few low PSA men on here and I'm sure they will be along to advise you.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 10:40

As Johsan says, it is possible to have a very low PSA but still have PCa. You have already been diagnosed with PCa, with a Gleason of 4+3. This means that the greater number of your cancer cells were more mutated from normal than the lesser number. What is less certain is without an MRI scan it more difficult to know whether the cancer is confined to the Prostate and therefore whether there is a good chance of surgery or another treatment being successful. I would ask whether there is an alternative scan to help decide this or if you only had a TRUS biopsy, if a full template biopsy could be helpful. In the latter, about 50 needles are inserted in a set pattern whilst a man is anaesthetized and cores help show where the cancer is.  This may be difficult or not possible as you have had a Turp procedure which hollows out part of the prostate.  It could be that the Turp removed all the cancer, hopefully. Another option would be to seek a second opinion which you could ask your GP to arrange, particularly as your present consultant seems rather unsure of what to make of your case.

Edited by member 15 Apr 2017 at 12:42  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 16:31
Hi Terry

Agree with Barry. Ask for 2nd opinion. . You have been told you have Grade 4 PC 2 years ago and nothing appears to have been done ?? Is that correct. . Can you confirm and I'm sure others more qualified or experienced on this forum will post and comment.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. . You need and are entitled to an up to date and accurate diagnosis. Only when you have the complete diagnosis can you then decide to tell others.

Hope this helps. . See other recent post on AS. The key is to keep control yourself in an assertive way.

Gordon

User
Posted 16 Apr 2017 at 00:04

Unfortunately, it is possible to have a low PSA and still have prostate cancer.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2017 at 00:13

Hi Terry

I had a PSA of 1.5, but Gleeson4+3....

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 09:35

Hi Terry,
you know your family best and how they might respond to the news, will it set them off in blind panic or will they take it calmly and be able to offer you the support that you perhaps need. Also telling your wife / partner if you have one is different to telling your wider family, children etc.
In terms of telling your family I have some thoughts.
What are you going to tell them? At the moment it seems you have very little information about either your current diagnosis or treatment options. Providing a little information now will most likely open up a whole load of questions that you can't answer and create a lot of worry. On the other hand it might give you someone you could talk to to think through those questions and help you get the diagnosis treatment you need.
If you wait a few weeks until you have clearer information you can tell your family the full picture which might make it easier, on the other hand you don't get their support to get you through the minefield of doctors, tests and information.
You also don't have to tell every-one right away, if there is some-one you think can help you now then tell them and then follow up with the others when the time is right. My mum told me when she was having tests last year but not my siblings because she knew that I wouldn't panic and could help her to find out the information she needed and navigate the system to get the right tests done.
I'm sure you will make the right choice for you and your family.
Good luck

User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 18:54

My husband had a very low PSA right from the get go..1.12 yet still had cancer. He opted to have a RP in March 2014, which the surgeons were very pleased with and no further treatment was required other than regular blood tests at our local hospital. The first year after his op he had 3 monthly tests and his PSA was 0.01 undetectable and has remained so ever since.

User
Posted 02 May 2017 at 17:07

I too had low PSA, 0.9. For a few years despite being tested every 2 years I was constantly told from this reading that I hadn't got PSA. One doctor told me it was so low I would never get it!. Eventually after starting to get symptoms, stinging on peeing, couldn't go, suddenly needing to go etc I had a biopsy and even then the technician said 'I don't think you have cancer.' He probably shouldn't have said that. I was 4+3, downgraded to 6 after RP op. Since then,2012, PSA has been 'unrecordable' but I sometimes wonder as it was so low would anything show up via PSA.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 10:00

Hello Terry and welcome to the site.

Yes it is possible to have a low PSA and Prostate cancer I believe, although 02 does seem very low to me.

I know we have a few low PSA men on here and I'm sure they will be along to advise you.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 10:40

As Johsan says, it is possible to have a very low PSA but still have PCa. You have already been diagnosed with PCa, with a Gleason of 4+3. This means that the greater number of your cancer cells were more mutated from normal than the lesser number. What is less certain is without an MRI scan it more difficult to know whether the cancer is confined to the Prostate and therefore whether there is a good chance of surgery or another treatment being successful. I would ask whether there is an alternative scan to help decide this or if you only had a TRUS biopsy, if a full template biopsy could be helpful. In the latter, about 50 needles are inserted in a set pattern whilst a man is anaesthetized and cores help show where the cancer is.  This may be difficult or not possible as you have had a Turp procedure which hollows out part of the prostate.  It could be that the Turp removed all the cancer, hopefully. Another option would be to seek a second opinion which you could ask your GP to arrange, particularly as your present consultant seems rather unsure of what to make of your case.

Edited by member 15 Apr 2017 at 12:42  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 16:31
Hi Terry

Agree with Barry. Ask for 2nd opinion. . You have been told you have Grade 4 PC 2 years ago and nothing appears to have been done ?? Is that correct. . Can you confirm and I'm sure others more qualified or experienced on this forum will post and comment.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. . You need and are entitled to an up to date and accurate diagnosis. Only when you have the complete diagnosis can you then decide to tell others.

Hope this helps. . See other recent post on AS. The key is to keep control yourself in an assertive way.

Gordon

User
Posted 16 Apr 2017 at 00:04

Unfortunately, it is possible to have a low PSA and still have prostate cancer.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2017 at 00:13

Hi Terry

I had a PSA of 1.5, but Gleeson4+3....

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2017 at 12:21

Hello Terry,

I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances. You definitely need a second opinion!

My PSA was 0.9, yet my prostate was nearly full of cancer, and had spread to my seminal vesicles. My Gleason was 3+4. I was also diagnosed at July 2015, after a delay of 5 months! It appears some urology departments see a low PSA and will put a patient on the back burner.

Frank.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 09:05

I,m sorry it took me so,long to reply I have now been to see my Gp and he has now wrote a letter to my consultant at the Hospital so I'm waiting to hear a reply from them any day now I,m still not sure weather I tell the family it's just that I don't see the need for them to start worrying thank you for taking time to answer me
Terry

User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 09:35

Hi Terry,
you know your family best and how they might respond to the news, will it set them off in blind panic or will they take it calmly and be able to offer you the support that you perhaps need. Also telling your wife / partner if you have one is different to telling your wider family, children etc.
In terms of telling your family I have some thoughts.
What are you going to tell them? At the moment it seems you have very little information about either your current diagnosis or treatment options. Providing a little information now will most likely open up a whole load of questions that you can't answer and create a lot of worry. On the other hand it might give you someone you could talk to to think through those questions and help you get the diagnosis treatment you need.
If you wait a few weeks until you have clearer information you can tell your family the full picture which might make it easier, on the other hand you don't get their support to get you through the minefield of doctors, tests and information.
You also don't have to tell every-one right away, if there is some-one you think can help you now then tell them and then follow up with the others when the time is right. My mum told me when she was having tests last year but not my siblings because she knew that I wouldn't panic and could help her to find out the information she needed and navigate the system to get the right tests done.
I'm sure you will make the right choice for you and your family.
Good luck

User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 18:54

My husband had a very low PSA right from the get go..1.12 yet still had cancer. He opted to have a RP in March 2014, which the surgeons were very pleased with and no further treatment was required other than regular blood tests at our local hospital. The first year after his op he had 3 monthly tests and his PSA was 0.01 undetectable and has remained so ever since.

User
Posted 02 May 2017 at 17:07

I too had low PSA, 0.9. For a few years despite being tested every 2 years I was constantly told from this reading that I hadn't got PSA. One doctor told me it was so low I would never get it!. Eventually after starting to get symptoms, stinging on peeing, couldn't go, suddenly needing to go etc I had a biopsy and even then the technician said 'I don't think you have cancer.' He probably shouldn't have said that. I was 4+3, downgraded to 6 after RP op. Since then,2012, PSA has been 'unrecordable' but I sometimes wonder as it was so low would anything show up via PSA.