Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help I need advice

User
Posted 20 Apr 2017 at 17:52
Hi
My dad had a MRI scan a few months which showed something on his prostate. His PSA level is showing at 4.3 and has been for further blood tests to determine whether it has grown. We won't get the results back for another 2 weeks but does this mean he has prostate cancer, should I be worried? Thank you
User
Posted 20 Apr 2017 at 19:27

Hi |Nellie, it is impossible to know from the information you have given us. A suspicious area on a scan is worrying but MRI scans can't tell the difference between cancer, infection and bruising. The only way doctors can usually diagnose prostate cancer is to do a biopsy - has he had one of those yet? It certainly doesn't seem as if the hospital suspects an advanced cancer diagnosis - if they did they would have been unlikely to leave it for months before doing anything.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 Apr 2017 at 21:21
Thank you for your reply!
A biopsy will depend on if his PSA has changed from 4.3, what they have found is small so I know it's not at an advanced stage which is really lucky!
It's a waiting game at the moment and that's probably why I don't really know what's happening and I'm trying to get my head around it all and find out as much as I can :)
User
Posted 24 Jun 2017 at 16:29

Hi Nellie,

I think he will need more tests from the oncologist to find out what is happening and it is a bit worrying till you can get a better idea of any prognosis.

I felt much the same early on but i found the oncologists excellent at their jobs and very good at explaining the procedures that are best for your dad and  you will also find lots of help on this site as i did nine months ago. All the Members are here to help with any questions you may have good luck.

John.