I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

should i be more worried?

User
Posted 30 Apr 2017 at 06:59

hi everyone, im a little worried about prostate cancer because of some symptoms ive been having since Christmas.

im 49, if that makes a difference.  the symptoms ive had are ive been getting a pain in my groin which goes down my leg a little, but since the start has spread to the outside of my hip, round the side, the bottom of my buttock on the left hand side and I get a funny sensation on my right buttock at the outside of my body, I get a little burning sensation going across my right hand side of my groin/pelvic area.  I sometimes feel my flow is a little slow as well at times but not all the time.  Just lately ive been feeling really tired as well where I need to sleep, mostly in the afternoon.  I also feel that when I get up im still tired and don't feel rested.

I have spoken to the GP about this previously and they wrote the pain on as something but nothing.  I kept pestering one GP and he did a DRE and said my prostate seemed normal. however my leg/groin pain is getting worse and at the time I got a check wasn't feeling tired the way I do now.

I guess im a little worried because I lost a friend to prostate cancer last month and he said his main symptom was tiredness, I also have another friend who has been diagnosed in the last few months who suffered from leg pain and hes been told its in his bones.  my mind has put 2 and 2 together and came up with 4.  I approached another doc in the surgery and I have an appoint with him this Friday to speak about it because im concerned but for the last day or so ive been quite worried about it because I think it might be in my bones and I cant shake this tiredness off.

thanks for listening, sorry for the longish post.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2017 at 11:01

Hello Weeme and welcome to the site.

Firstly 49 isn't too young to be diagnosed with prostate cancer BUT you are running before you walk.

I can see why you are worried about your symptoms, given your two friends' experiences but not everyone is the same.

You are seeing the GP on Friday so make sure you explain just what you are worried about and tell him a PSA test would go a long way to reassuring you . When the PSA results come back make sure you ask the actual figure and do not accept "It's fine" or in normal range. Everyone is different. Whatever the result, it will give a base line for future tests.

Now, as for the other pains, has anyone checked to make sure that these pains aren't caused by a trapped nerve in your back (sciatica) or referred hip pain.

All of these things need to be ruled out and then the GP can concentrate on what else can be causing your pain. Stress will not help either

Have you played a lot of sport in the past?

Don't worry about long posts. If you are worried then the only thing to do is ask somebody. We don't know all the answers but we can occasionally point men in the right direction.

2 + 2 always = 4, it's just sometimes our brains rejig the figures to suit our fears.

See the GP Friday, make sure he is aware of your real prostate fears. By the way, is there a history of Prostate cancer in your immediate family (Father, brother, uncle)

Has the GP ever checked you for an infection?

Edited by member 30 Apr 2017 at 11:02  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 Apr 2017 at 11:06

Well tiredness and pain are signs that something is wrong but nothing you have described is indicative of cancer or of bone spread ... it sounds more like you have a touch of infection. Not feeling rested when you wake up is an indicator of anxiety.

Perhaps instead of telling the doctor all these details again, just say that you would like a PSA test?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Apr 2017 at 11:01

Hello Weeme and welcome to the site.

Firstly 49 isn't too young to be diagnosed with prostate cancer BUT you are running before you walk.

I can see why you are worried about your symptoms, given your two friends' experiences but not everyone is the same.

You are seeing the GP on Friday so make sure you explain just what you are worried about and tell him a PSA test would go a long way to reassuring you . When the PSA results come back make sure you ask the actual figure and do not accept "It's fine" or in normal range. Everyone is different. Whatever the result, it will give a base line for future tests.

Now, as for the other pains, has anyone checked to make sure that these pains aren't caused by a trapped nerve in your back (sciatica) or referred hip pain.

All of these things need to be ruled out and then the GP can concentrate on what else can be causing your pain. Stress will not help either

Have you played a lot of sport in the past?

Don't worry about long posts. If you are worried then the only thing to do is ask somebody. We don't know all the answers but we can occasionally point men in the right direction.

2 + 2 always = 4, it's just sometimes our brains rejig the figures to suit our fears.

See the GP Friday, make sure he is aware of your real prostate fears. By the way, is there a history of Prostate cancer in your immediate family (Father, brother, uncle)

Has the GP ever checked you for an infection?

Edited by member 30 Apr 2017 at 11:02  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 Apr 2017 at 11:06

Well tiredness and pain are signs that something is wrong but nothing you have described is indicative of cancer or of bone spread ... it sounds more like you have a touch of infection. Not feeling rested when you wake up is an indicator of anxiety.

Perhaps instead of telling the doctor all these details again, just say that you would like a PSA test?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard