I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rising whilst still on treatment

User
Posted 02 May 2017 at 10:56

Hi all, hope you are all doing well. My husband has had 3 sessions of chemo and is currently undergoing his fourth session today. His PSA , which was at 72 had dropped to 22 and then to 4.8 just before his third session of chemo. However he has now had 2 further PSA tests- one at 6.8 and then yesterday it was 7.2..... He is having monthly firmagon injections so i just wondered if any of you had this experience of the psa rising again after its first big fall, and whether it is something to worry about, or if it can just fluctuate like this.... On the positive side he went back to India last week and the PSMA PET/CT scan did show that the tumors ( prostate / infiltration into bladder and the lesion on his rib ) were reducing in size, so holding onto that positive news !!

User
Posted 02 May 2017 at 14:40

Hi, sometimes the PSA rises because of the chemo - this is the biggest attack of the cancer cells lives and they try to fight back. If the scans are good news and he feels relatively well, the PSA becomes an unreliable measure of success.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 May 2017 at 13:06

Hi, thanks for your reply. It is so hard to worry about the smallest changes !! I am new on this site but it is good to hear some words of reassurance !

User
Posted 04 May 2017 at 13:35

Hi Blueeyes,
Lyn is the local guru on these things and has answered your question perfectly. Great to see that the scans are showing reduction and so the treatment is working.
My husband is also only 45 and we have two young kids so I understand some of what you are going through. It sounds like the treatment in India is pretty advanced but I can't imagine having to get on a flight and travel to a different continent every few weeks or months is easy. Take care of yourself and come back to post if you need any more help or reassurance. This site has been an amazing help to me.
Julie