I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Recovering from RP operation

User
Posted 04 May 2017 at 10:14
Hi, I was diagnosed with PC about eight weeks ago with a Gleason score 3+4. T2 N0 M0. I was offered choices of radiotherapy or surgery. At the age of 58 with the cancer localised internally I concluded that the option for me was to have it taken out as soon as possible so I chose surgery.

Within five days of me letting the consultant know my choice I was called by the hospital offering me an early appointment and I had the operation five days ago in Eastbourne. (29/4/17)

I must say I couldn't have wished for more! The radical 3-D robotic prostatectomy operation was totally successful as advised by the consultant and I was home the next day. I am on the road to recovery and look forward to my catheter coming out soon!

My experience overall of the process has been nothing but admiration for the way in which the NHS diagnosed, supported and treated me. The operation itself caused very little trauma with so far no pain and no discomfort other than the usual aches and pains to be expected after a major operation.

I hope my experience helps anyone else who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Edited by member 15 Nov 2017 at 21:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2017 at 10:14
Hi, I was diagnosed with PC about eight weeks ago with a Gleason score 3+4. T2 N0 M0. I was offered choices of radiotherapy or surgery. At the age of 58 with the cancer localised internally I concluded that the option for me was to have it taken out as soon as possible so I chose surgery.

Within five days of me letting the consultant know my choice I was called by the hospital offering me an early appointment and I had the operation five days ago in Eastbourne. (29/4/17)

I must say I couldn't have wished for more! The radical 3-D robotic prostatectomy operation was totally successful as advised by the consultant and I was home the next day. I am on the road to recovery and look forward to my catheter coming out soon!

My experience overall of the process has been nothing but admiration for the way in which the NHS diagnosed, supported and treated me. The operation itself caused very little trauma with so far no pain and no discomfort other than the usual aches and pains to be expected after a major operation.

I hope my experience helps anyone else who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Edited by member 15 Nov 2017 at 21:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2017 at 12:21

hello Brighton Banker.
Wow that was really quick. Glad to hear everything is going well for you so far and hope that it continues to do so. My husband also had robotic prostatectomy and is recovering well. If you do have any questions no matter how random or weird they seem please do post as there is a huge amount of experience here on the site.

Julie

User
Posted 04 Jun 2017 at 18:46

A bit of an update and apologies for not responding sooner to Terry. Am at about 6 weeks now since the op and everything is progressing well. The catheter was most uncomfortable giving me pains when wanting to use the toilet. It was removed after 2 weeks 0r so and that was like the best thing ever! I immediately had full mobility without discomfort and my incontinence was more or less just drips and dribbles. And it's improving day by day.
ED was there from day one but dramatically improved to around 75% better around a couple of days ago so more than I ever thought possible at this stage.
I don't feel as though I've had an operation now. I'm walking about 5-6 miles a day and feeling very good.

My follow up with the consultant is 19 July and will share details after that.

All in all the operation was the best decision for me and am so glad I did it.

Edited by member 04 Jun 2017 at 18:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2017 at 12:51

Good Morning Brighton,

I'm almost to the day 2 years ahead of you. At the moment, everything is as good as it gets, undetectable PSA, no incontinence and ED not too much of a problem.

A couple of weeks ago, I was discharged by my hospital back to my GP.

Please read my profile, and ask any questions.

Wishing your recovery goes well and your treatment a success!

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 19:10
Hi Gents,

I had my surgery on Mon this week. Gleason 3+4, PSA 5, T1C. I had nerve sparing on one side and the surgeon said it all went well. Looks like 6 weeks till the follow up pathology results but here's hoping.

Great to hear all's well Pablito and all the best to you brightonboy.

User
Posted 19 May 2017 at 21:01

Hi,
I was diagnosed with numbers similar to yours, I had Da-Vinci OP 29th sept last year so approx. 8 months post OP, so far everything going well with undetectable PSA and no incontinence, ED still an issue but I said to my surgeon cancer first then incontinence then ED so far it is going that way, I am 66 and I think age has a lot to do with recovery, I had the catheter in for 3 weeks when it was removed I had bad incontinence for about 4 weeks then it got better slowly day by day just do the PFEs there is a great APP for Android phones called Prostate Aerobics which you can download free it is very good,
best wishes
Paul

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 13:47

Today I am told by my consultant that my PSA is at less than 0.01 so is undetectable and the subsequent pathology tests after the operation indicates that it is now all gone. All the cancer was internal with good margins and a final Gleason score of 4+3. This is the best news one can get and the best he could have wished for. I now just need monitoring every few months to check all remains well.

So very very grateful for an early diagnosis and rapid treatment.........

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 19:55

Hi DaveM. Looks like you and I have very similar stories and diagnosis. I send my best wishes and hope that whatever path you choose works out well for you but seems like you're opting for surgery, as I did and I must say I am very happy with choice I made. All the best in the coming weeks.

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 20:27

Great turnaround Brighton banker. Great to hear that you are recovering well. The surgeon will have an inclination of how well the operation went. But the pathology results will give the full results and a proper indication of how successful the op was

Fingers crossed for you

Bri

User
Posted 14 May 2017 at 19:01

Hi Brighton,
glad to hear you are doing well , had my op on the 27th April . My diagnosis was similar to yours .I'm feeling really good and it's so hard not to do things you shouldn't , I did a bit of Flymo lawn mowing today when the Mrs wasn't looking and am walking about 2 miles a day. Good luck with your results when you see your surgeon .
Regards R

User
Posted 19 May 2017 at 20:37

Please tell me more, your post was very encouraging for me, I was diagnosed 2 days ago. Localised Stage 2, 4/3 Gleason 7

I'm 64, options are apparently only surgery (recommended by Consultant) or radiotherapy, really don't fancy either but no choice.

Dreading incontinence -how long did yours last?

Upset about ED -do pills help/work? How long does being "useless " last?

Best wishes

Terry

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 15:26

Good for you Brightonbanker

Glad it's all going well for you and long may it continue.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 17:20
Brilliant news Brightonbanker.

You can chill for a while now which is great. Long may it continue.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 14:43

Hi Brightonbanker

Hope everything is still going well for you, your posts have been very encouraging and informative,

I was diagnosed in 19th June, it was a complete shocker as I have no symptoms to speak of, it was discovered by chance at a routine kidney stone clinic check. After targeted biopsies I was diagnosed with localized stage 3, 4/3 Gleason 7

I am 57 and my options were surgery or radiotherapy, both options filled me with dread, for me surgery appeared to be the better of the two.

I am due to undergo robot removal on the 14th Aug, I’m not worried about ED or incontinence yet! I just need to get the op over first.

Best wishes

User
Posted 04 Aug 2017 at 17:51
Thanks for the reply Brightonbanker, I will keep you posted on progress, also thanks to Manor Pound for the PM and offer of a chat, but unfortunately can't PM back as not enough post participation yet but may need a chat after the op

DaveM

User
Posted 31 Oct 2017 at 18:00
Hi Brightonbanker

That’s great news, good to hear everything is still going well for you and long may it continue

DaveM

User
Posted 31 Oct 2017 at 18:29
Great news, wishing you all the best, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 03 Nov 2017 at 11:28

Hi BrightonBanker great to read your story  -  good luck Dave M too.

Am in a similar situation - though Gleason 6 - localised PC. 8 of 10 biopsies showed presence of PC cells so consultant described my case as "at the high end of low risk".

So am in the throes of deciding between surgery (robotic) or radiotherapy - so much information  (for and against) that it's hard to choose. Your experience was encouraging to read. best wishes

Jeff S

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 May 2017 at 12:21

hello Brighton Banker.
Wow that was really quick. Glad to hear everything is going well for you so far and hope that it continues to do so. My husband also had robotic prostatectomy and is recovering well. If you do have any questions no matter how random or weird they seem please do post as there is a huge amount of experience here on the site.

Julie

User
Posted 04 May 2017 at 12:51

Good Morning Brighton,

I'm almost to the day 2 years ahead of you. At the moment, everything is as good as it gets, undetectable PSA, no incontinence and ED not too much of a problem.

A couple of weeks ago, I was discharged by my hospital back to my GP.

Please read my profile, and ask any questions.

Wishing your recovery goes well and your treatment a success!

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 19:10
Hi Gents,

I had my surgery on Mon this week. Gleason 3+4, PSA 5, T1C. I had nerve sparing on one side and the surgeon said it all went well. Looks like 6 weeks till the follow up pathology results but here's hoping.

Great to hear all's well Pablito and all the best to you brightonboy.

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 20:27

Great turnaround Brighton banker. Great to hear that you are recovering well. The surgeon will have an inclination of how well the operation went. But the pathology results will give the full results and a proper indication of how successful the op was

Fingers crossed for you

Bri

User
Posted 14 May 2017 at 19:01

Hi Brighton,
glad to hear you are doing well , had my op on the 27th April . My diagnosis was similar to yours .I'm feeling really good and it's so hard not to do things you shouldn't , I did a bit of Flymo lawn mowing today when the Mrs wasn't looking and am walking about 2 miles a day. Good luck with your results when you see your surgeon .
Regards R

User
Posted 19 May 2017 at 20:37

Please tell me more, your post was very encouraging for me, I was diagnosed 2 days ago. Localised Stage 2, 4/3 Gleason 7

I'm 64, options are apparently only surgery (recommended by Consultant) or radiotherapy, really don't fancy either but no choice.

Best wishes

Terry

User
Posted 19 May 2017 at 21:01

Hi,
I was diagnosed with numbers similar to yours, I had Da-Vinci OP 29th sept last year so approx. 8 months post OP, so far everything going well with undetectable PSA and no incontinence, ED still an issue but I said to my surgeon cancer first then incontinence then ED so far it is going that way, I am 66 and I think age has a lot to do with recovery, I had the catheter in for 3 weeks when it was removed I had bad incontinence for about 4 weeks then it got better slowly day by day just do the PFEs there is a great APP for Android phones called Prostate Aerobics which you can download free it is very good,
best wishes
Paul

User
Posted 04 Jun 2017 at 18:46

A bit of an update and apologies for not responding sooner to Terry. Am at about 6 weeks now since the op and everything is progressing well. The catheter was most uncomfortable giving me pains when wanting to use the toilet. It was removed after 2 weeks 0r so and that was like the best thing ever! I immediately had full mobility without discomfort and my incontinence was more or less just drips and dribbles. And it's improving day by day.
ED was there from day one but dramatically improved to around 75% better around a couple of days ago so more than I ever thought possible at this stage.
I don't feel as though I've had an operation now. I'm walking about 5-6 miles a day and feeling very good.

My follow up with the consultant is 19 July and will share details after that.

All in all the operation was the best decision for me and am so glad I did it.

Edited by member 04 Jun 2017 at 18:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 13:47

Today I am told by my consultant that my PSA is at less than 0.01 so is undetectable and the subsequent pathology tests after the operation indicates that it is now all gone. All the cancer was internal with good margins and a final Gleason score of 4+3. This is the best news one can get and the best he could have wished for. I now just need monitoring every few months to check all remains well.

So very very grateful for an early diagnosis and rapid treatment.........

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 15:26

Good for you Brightonbanker

Glad it's all going well for you and long may it continue.

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 15:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Best wishes

Terry

Hello Terry.

I see that your enquiry wasn't answered and it's probably too late now for giving you information as I see that you asked back in May.

Have you been sorted out yet for treatment?

If not, then it might be best if you re-post under your own name as sometimes (as appears to have happened here) your questions get missed if they are added to another person's post.

You may, in fact have already done that but I can ony check back for the past month and I couldn't see it there.

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 17:20
Brilliant news Brightonbanker.

You can chill for a while now which is great. Long may it continue.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 14:43

Hi Brightonbanker

Hope everything is still going well for you, your posts have been very encouraging and informative,

I was diagnosed in 19th June, it was a complete shocker as I have no symptoms to speak of, it was discovered by chance at a routine kidney stone clinic check. After targeted biopsies I was diagnosed with localized stage 3, 4/3 Gleason 7

I am 57 and my options were surgery or radiotherapy, both options filled me with dread, for me surgery appeared to be the better of the two.

I am due to undergo robot removal on the 14th Aug, I’m not worried about ED or incontinence yet! I just need to get the op over first.

Best wishes

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 19:55

Hi DaveM. Looks like you and I have very similar stories and diagnosis. I send my best wishes and hope that whatever path you choose works out well for you but seems like you're opting for surgery, as I did and I must say I am very happy with choice I made. All the best in the coming weeks.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2017 at 17:51
Thanks for the reply Brightonbanker, I will keep you posted on progress, also thanks to Manor Pound for the PM and offer of a chat, but unfortunately can't PM back as not enough post participation yet but may need a chat after the op

DaveM

User
Posted 31 Oct 2017 at 16:39

Just had my urology consultants update following my RALP in April this year. PSA remains undetectable and outlook is looking good. Consultant advised that whilst he never says anyone is 'cured' this as good as one could hope for and he is very positive for the future.
So feeling very happy today 😀😊

User
Posted 31 Oct 2017 at 18:00
Hi Brightonbanker

That’s great news, good to hear everything is still going well for you and long may it continue

DaveM

User
Posted 31 Oct 2017 at 18:29
Great news, wishing you all the best, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 03 Nov 2017 at 11:28

Hi BrightonBanker great to read your story  -  good luck Dave M too.

Am in a similar situation - though Gleason 6 - localised PC. 8 of 10 biopsies showed presence of PC cells so consultant described my case as "at the high end of low risk".

So am in the throes of deciding between surgery (robotic) or radiotherapy - so much information  (for and against) that it's hard to choose. Your experience was encouraging to read. best wishes

Jeff S

User
Posted 15 Nov 2017 at 21:35
Hi Jeff S. So glad my experience has in some way given you more information to help you make an informed decision. So difficult to know which way to go. All I can say is that I was more than pleased with the direction I chose to go and wish all the best for you. Do keep us updated.