I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Failed docetaxel & Enzalitamide: What's Next?

User
Posted 10 May 2017 at 22:10
Hi- my dad is 73 and has been battling prostate cancer since 2004.

2005 Prostrate Removal PSA 5.8

2013 Radiotherapy PSA 10

2013-2014 Abiterone +Leuprolode+Prednisolone

2016 Chemo Doxetacel PSA started at 6.4 and after 7 treatments ended in PSA 27.8

2017 cancer progresses to pelvic bone T9,T12,L4

Given two months of Enzalutamide

2017-March PSA 44.97

2017-April PSA 66.68

Clearly the Enzo is not working and he's going to find out if he's headed for another round of chemo this time with Cabazitaxel or Radium 223

He has two oncologists with differing treatment options. One seems to play the "let the patient enjoy the quality of life" and in my opinion is not taking the aggressive "fight the fight approach" that the other onco has. I'm distraught bc no one is giving me a straight answer on life expectancy.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 01:54

They can't give you an answer on life expectancy - it would be guess work. It was good that they tried enzo but not entirely unexpected that it wasn't successful - all the research data has indicated that once Abbi fails, enzo will also fail and vice versa. you have been in this place before so you know that if he takes the chemo well, it can knock the cancer back for a while but that isn't always what happens. If he doesn't tolerate it well, then there are very few options left and it becomes a discussion about keeping him as pain free as possible but with no active treatment.

Re the different views of the oncos, what is your dad's view? You might want him to fight on and on, and keep trying new treatments but is that what he wants? Is it possible that the onco is picking up that your dad has had enough of being put through awful side effects? Not easy for me to say or for you to read, but must be considered seriously.

Has dad been referred to Macmillan or his local hospice team? They are best placed to do things like managing any pain issues he might have and they can also advise on any financial benefits he might be entitled to. They usually have marvellous counselling services & support for family members as well.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 May 2017 at 15:39
Thanks for your response. My dad wants to fight, he's chosen to go through chemo, and given insurance issues ended up with the aggressive oncologist so I'm hoping he takes to the chemo well.
User
Posted 22 May 2017 at 16:14
Sorry no advice but we have an appointment next week for my dad's 5th round of abbi and I know they're going to take him off it. I know he will refuse any aggressive chemo too.

I feel your pain right now.

Bee x

User
Posted 22 May 2017 at 23:18

So sorry for the frightening situation that your dads (and you) are in. I do feel for you.

It's probably not the route that anyone wants to take but, if it comes to it and the chemo / radium are not helping or not appropriate, in our experience palliative care can be absolutely superb. They have entirely sorted out the bone pain and nausea issues that have dogged my OH for the past year (often at excruciating / debilitating levels) and are constantly on hand to tweak the medicines, provide advice, acupuncture, kindness and support. Fighting is important but it's also important to know that treatment is available even when the fight is over.

Love

Eleanor (Ruth)

x