Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

If surgery isn't possible

User
Posted 10 May 2017 at 23:00
Hi there

My husband was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer Gleason 4+3 He went for surgery today but told due to previous surgery it would be to risky. Has anyone experienced this and what other treatment would be available. I am seeing the surgeon in the morning to get a full update but can't sleep with worry. My husband is 50years old and his psa orginally was 17

Thanks in advance

Tarryface

My husband s X-ray came back fine. So very relieved. He went in for his op to remove prostate but whilst under a anaesthetic, discovered, due to scar tissue from previous surgery, were unable to continue. Ithe surgeon explained that he would of suggested brachytherapy first anyway. (Wish we had seen that surgeon). Professor raj persad. Leading in research . So feel quite confident. Dave was given, we think hormone tablets and will see someone hopefully in the next two weeks. He is feeling ridiculously well, except for the catheter , which will hopefully be out in the next 10 days.

Edited by member 15 May 2017 at 08:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 22:11

Andrew mentions his 3 year slog on HT. It is not always the case but increasingly men have HT for a longer period before and or after External Beam RT (usually IMRT version these days). So this and potential side effects of HT over a long term have to be contemplated

Edited by member 11 May 2017 at 22:13  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 01:43

Hi Elaine,
radiotherapy (RT) tends to have exactly the same success rate as surgery and for some people, the side effects of RT are much less life changing than the operation so try not to worry. Some people actually choose RT over surgery. RT is usually given daily over 4 or 7 weeks, and is often accompanied by hormone treatment for a period of time - side effects of HT are not always great but most are reversible.

There are different kinds of RT - external beam and IMRT are delivered by the patient lying on a bed while the machine zaps around their waist. Brachytherapy is like internal RT - small seeds are placed inside the prostate. Your husband may not be suitable for brachy but that is something to talk to the onco about. I imagine the urologist will now refer your husband to an oncologist - urologists do operations and oncos do radiotherapy etc.

Try to sleep - this is not as big a problem as you fear and may end up being a good thing.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 09:52

As Lyn says!

I chose RT, and am now nearing the end of a three year course of hormones: hard work at times, but no regrets.

Worth reading up on it on this site before you see the oncologist, so you'll both 'know what you don't know' and be able to ask questions on what worries you.

User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 15:39

Hi Elaine,

I had brachytherapy in September 2016 with a Gleason of 3+4 = and PSA 2.19,I was offered full surgery as well but took the brachytherapy route but both surgeons thought their's way was best.

I can see that your husbands numbers are the other way around ie=4+3= 7  so maybe that's why they are going for surgery i am no expert so more advice is needed.

I am nearly eight months on post Brachy with PSA down to 0.59 and doing well so far but i am new to all this and other members have a lot more experience than me and i am sure they can give you more advice.

Regards John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 01:43

Hi Elaine,
radiotherapy (RT) tends to have exactly the same success rate as surgery and for some people, the side effects of RT are much less life changing than the operation so try not to worry. Some people actually choose RT over surgery. RT is usually given daily over 4 or 7 weeks, and is often accompanied by hormone treatment for a period of time - side effects of HT are not always great but most are reversible.

There are different kinds of RT - external beam and IMRT are delivered by the patient lying on a bed while the machine zaps around their waist. Brachytherapy is like internal RT - small seeds are placed inside the prostate. Your husband may not be suitable for brachy but that is something to talk to the onco about. I imagine the urologist will now refer your husband to an oncologist - urologists do operations and oncos do radiotherapy etc.

Try to sleep - this is not as big a problem as you fear and may end up being a good thing.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 09:52

As Lyn says!

I chose RT, and am now nearing the end of a three year course of hormones: hard work at times, but no regrets.

Worth reading up on it on this site before you see the oncologist, so you'll both 'know what you don't know' and be able to ask questions on what worries you.

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 22:11

Andrew mentions his 3 year slog on HT. It is not always the case but increasingly men have HT for a longer period before and or after External Beam RT (usually IMRT version these days). So this and potential side effects of HT over a long term have to be contemplated

Edited by member 11 May 2017 at 22:13  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 15:39

Hi Elaine,

I had brachytherapy in September 2016 with a Gleason of 3+4 = and PSA 2.19,I was offered full surgery as well but took the brachytherapy route but both surgeons thought their's way was best.

I can see that your husbands numbers are the other way around ie=4+3= 7  so maybe that's why they are going for surgery i am no expert so more advice is needed.

I am nearly eight months on post Brachy with PSA down to 0.59 and doing well so far but i am new to all this and other members have a lot more experience than me and i am sure they can give you more advice.

Regards John.