Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hot Flushes, this has worked for me

User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 13:48

Hi

Hot Flushes, bloody terrible stuff. I was waking up once or twice a night absolutely covered in sweat. I was also getting the odd "attack" during the day, sometimes at the most inopportune times.

I have mentioned it a few times to my Oncologist but it just seemed to be something that comes withe the territory. I did research and the same old no nos came up, alcohol, caffeine etc, but you know, I like those things.

About 3 months ago I mentioned it again to the Onco, he though for a moment and then said: lets try this. He prescribed me a small (1 x 50mg daily) dose of Procur (Cyproterone Acetate). It is probably marketed under a different name outside NZ. He described it as a rather old fashioned antiandrogen.

I had almost immediate relief which has continued. I sometimes get the odd sweat bead, but nothing in comparison to past symptoms.

I get the feeling this is a rather unorthodox treatment and perhaps it is peculiar to my cancer and the other drugs I am on, but perhaps worth raising with your Oncologist if you suffer from this most unfair side effect.

"And Rocky said, doc it's only a scratch. And I'll be better, I'll be better doc as soon as I am able"
User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 19:34

That's helpful info Martin and I'm sure will be of interest to some of our men

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 20:18

I have seen men on this forum prescribed bialutimide (another anti-androgen) to help with extreme hot flushes - the down side is that it takes one of the tools out of your box if the disease progresses later e.g. some men who become hormone resistant would have an anti-androgen added at the point and it can hold off the point of no return for months or even years. Unfortunately, the longer you take it the more likely it is that the cancer learns to feed on it. So while it is good that you feel it is helping you, it isn't an option to be taken lightly.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 00:34

Thanks Lyn, yes I'm sure this is not right for everyone as you say.
I am mCRPC so I guess I am hormone resistant already. I have previously been on bicalutamide and now on enzo plus Lupron Depot injections.
Martin

"And Rocky said, doc it's only a scratch. And I'll be better, I'll be better doc as soon as I am able"